need DAC with more than 1 output.. like the Pico
Sep 12, 2009 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

koven

15 Hz + 150 dB = poopy pants
I was about to purchase a Havana before I realized there's only one output... and I need two, one for my amp, one for my active speakers.

Right now I have a Pico which works perfectly because of the simultaneous dual output.

Any suggestions for upgrades that have more than 1 output?

Sep 12, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #2 of 10
DACMagic, has a pair of RCA and balanced outputs.

EDIT: Wait, nevermind. That's a downgrade from the Havana, and a sidegrade from the Pico at best. Benchmark DAC1 seems to be a good choice.

Sep 12, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #3 of 10
Hey koven, I think you may want to state your budget after that first reply.
biggrin.gif

FWIW, I see the Benchmark DAC1 as the only true upgrade to my current KECES DAC (which only has one RCA output).

Sep 12, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #4 of 10
Hmm, my budget is anywhere in the Havana range.. I think the DAC1 seems to be a solid choice, does anyone know how it compares to the Lavry DA10?

How's the USB input on both? I don't have optical out on my comp..

Thanks!

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #5 of 10
Some will say the lavry is better, but I think the DAC1 measures at least as good and is generally considered a bit more neutral. I haven't heard the lavry so I can't make too many comments on it, but it's generally considered a bit warmer/smoother versus the completely neutral DAC1, which some consider harsh.
Neither of them has a usb input - but there's the $300 more DAC1USB and the $500 more DA11 which both have USB. The cheaper option is using a USB-->Spdif adapter ($50 ish) but some will claim you need a super fancy converter. I don't agree - the DAC1 has an excellent PLL and can handle a little bit of jitter just fine. I'm not aware of the DA10's specs but I assume it's also fine with jitter.

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 10
You could buy a Monarchy Audio NM24. It features line stage which can be used as a high impedence headphone amp w/ a breakout cable. It also has two DAC outputs, one tube and the other SS.

If you visit Audiogon sometimes they are on sale for $1,080 and IMO it is much better sounding than the DAC1.

Sep 14, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomikPi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some will say the lavry is better, but I think the DAC1 measures at least as good and is generally considered a bit more neutral. I haven't heard the lavry so I can't make too many comments on it, but it's generally considered a bit warmer/smoother versus the completely neutral DAC1, which some consider harsh.
Neither of them has a usb input - but there's the $300 more DAC1USB and the $500 more DA11 which both have USB. The cheaper option is using a USB-->Spdif adapter ($50 ish) but some will claim you need a super fancy converter. I don't agree - the DAC1 has an excellent PLL and can handle a little bit of jitter just fine. I'm not aware of the DA10's specs but I assume it's also fine with jitter.

I don't agree. I've spent many hundreds of hours with the DAC1, and the DA10/11 is bar none the most neutral DAC of the pair - expand that to near anything, I would only compare it to things like the Halo, vintage Pacific Microsonics ADC/DAC gear, the Alpha. The DAC1 is no slouch, but I wouldn't compare it to Lavry in terms of neutrality.

Sep 16, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #9 of 10
Not everyone wants or is looking for neutrality. Which may explain the many dacs available out there. I will not speak of the Lavry since I have not listen to it, I will say that I did not care for the sound of the DAC1 and to my ears the cheaper Oritek V4.1 was superior. The Monarchy NM24 DAC is IMO also superior to both the DAC1 and the Oritek, should be considering its cost.

Of course with the cost of these units the buyer should attempt to listen to them side by side to make an informed decission. What any of us thinks is really not that important since the only ears that have to be happy are those of the person buying the unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back