Need confirmation: HM5 Pads on DT770 Pro
May 11, 2018 at 3:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

domsch1988

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, It just came to my attention, that the HM5 replacement Pads should fit my DT770 Pro's. If that's correct, i might save on buying new headphones.

So can anyone confirm that the HM5 Memory Foam replacement Pads in leather and velours do actually fit the 770? Also, how do they compare thickness wise with the stock grey velours pads?
I'm not to concerned about the change in sound.

Edit: Also, if they fit, do you prefer velours or pleather for comfort? Are they different in thickness?

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 6
Hey Man,
Firstly I want to say that there can be big differences in Sound.
The diameter of the HM5 is around 9-10 cm.
They should fit, but why do you want to change the original Pads?
Comfort is something completely individual, I think both are comfortable.

May 11, 2018 at 4:42 AM Post #3 of 6
Hey Man,
Firstly I want to say that there can be big differences in Sound.
The diameter of the HM5 is around 9-10 cm.
They should fit, but why do you want to change the original Pads?
Comfort is something completely individual, I think both are comfortable.

I'd like to change them becuase the stock pads are just a tag to slim for me. My ears touch the drivers slightly. That can irritate my ears after two or three hours of usage. Additionally i'd hope to increase isolation a bit with the leather pads compared to the stock velours ones.
And yes, i'm totally aware that the sound will change. That's ok. I basically need are closed/well isolating Headphone for the moments in Office where it gets louder. I have my HD600 for when i need good sound. And instead of buying something new, i would use the DT770 i own anyways (but don't use because of comfort) with new pads. That's considerably cheaper than new cans.

May 11, 2018 at 5:11 AM Post #4 of 6
Okay, I understand,
so,you could buy them on Amazon and if you don't like them, send it back.
That's the only way, but I'm not sure if the isolation will be better.

May 11, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #5 of 6
Hi, It just came to my attention, that the HM5 replacement Pads should fit my DT770 Pro's. If that's correct, i might save on buying new headphones.

So can anyone confirm that the HM5 Memory Foam replacement Pads in leather and velours do actually fit the 770? Also, how do they compare thickness wise with the stock grey velours pads?
I'm not to concerned about the change in sound.

Edit: Also, if they fit, do you prefer velours or pleather for comfort? Are they different in thickness?

HM5 pads looks too short front to rear as it's designed for oblong earcups. They might fit when stretched but they might tear from stress.

Brainwavz has round earpads too, check those out if the mounting mechanism is similar to Beyers.

May 11, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #6 of 6
That's right, but I have to say, that they do a good job on my Hifiman, they're stretched, but they don't tear. The round ones would be the better option, clearly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back