1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Need: Closed monitors with good positioning

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by bazant, Jun 27, 2012.
  1. BazAnt
    Hey,

I'm doing professional records from games with mostly live commentary. I'm looking for good monitors for this purpose.

Problem
    I currently use CAL! for production (monitoring) and Sennheiser IE8 for post-production. IE8 is great, but I can't talk in IEMs - my ears are vibrating. On the other hand CAL! has nice isolation and acceptable sound quality, but in some games I need good positioning which those headphones lack - with more than one source all sound blends so I can't tell exact distance or direction. On the other hand IE8 is great in it, I can easily locate few sound sources at the same time.

Sum up: I currently have to use two pairs of headphones.

Solution
    Closed can headphones for production and post-production.

Priorities:
    • isolation (no leaking), comfort
    • positioning, SQ (neutral possibly)

I don't know audiophile language but maybe what would help is called "presence".

No mic needed, I use separate one.

Question
    Could you suggest what should I buy?

Ah, budget. Any - the cheaper the better but I won't hesitate to spend more if it will be worthwhile (then I'd need more sure information about separation - here's a great site to check it: quakelive.com).

2. BazAnt
    Hope to see a reply from someone that knows what's being talked about.