NEED: Closed headphone, COMFY + no terrible in head effect
Mar 30, 2004 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

jpo245

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I've tried quite a few closed headphones... some crappy audio techica ones, pro2 (taiwan brand), hd280s etc...

Sad to say, ALLLLLL of them give me a headache after abt 15-30 min of usage... its like u get that headachey inhead pressure after awhile, and i just have to take them off...

I get conned each time coz when i first listen to them i think "hey, this feels quite comfy and sounds not too bad" but when i bring them home and lie in bed with them, the headaches start...

I tried the triports in the apple store, and they ARE very comfy, they don't sound TOOO bad (sounds a bit artificial, but i kinda like that sound), and they're closed too...

does anyone have any recommendations for a closed headphone which is comfy + doesnt give me a headache?

Im scared of the senn closed type ever since both the hd220 pro and hd280 gave me a headache...

anyone?

THanks!

Mar 30, 2004 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 15
Try the Beyer DT250-80. Sonically neither incredibly capable nor exciting, but extremely comfortable. However you will not get anywhere near the isolation of the HD280, although I think the level you get is acceptable for general use.

Mar 30, 2004 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 15
initially i thought it was due to the pressure from the tight headband,
but i tried loosening it ALLL the way until they were JUST touching my ears and i'd still get a headache....

my grado sr80s are like that, but the headache only starts after about 2 hours....

Mar 30, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 15
So do you think it's the sound quality causing the headaches? Or the volume?

To be honest, unless you have it very loud or it presses very hard, no headphones should give you a headache, IMHO. Do you get headaches any other time? If you do perhaps you should see a doctor. I know I have to take a pill every night to prevent stress headaches.

Anyway, back to the cans. The most comfortable closed cans i've tried are the AKG 271s. I'd recommend them or the A900s.

Beyers are tighter on the head than the AKGs, but much less so that the Senn 280s. Beyer have cloth pads, AKGs have (p)leather. Hope that helps!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2004 at 9:52 PM Post #7 of 15
Well, stay away from the Senn HD-25's, then..

I could use a nice closed set o' cans for gaming, too.

These HD-600's are super comfy. They're open, though..

If I do get a closed set I'll probably go with either the Beyer 770's or the 250-250's..

Mar 31, 2004 at 1:46 AM Post #8 of 15
Sony MDR-CD3000. It kinda sits on your head (not much pressure from the pads/headbands). Only two problems with CD3K are 1) $$$ and 2) very revealing.

If something more affordable is needed, try Audio Technica A900. Very good sound, similar sound stage (large), closed can for half the price of Sony CD3K.

-Mike

Mar 31, 2004 at 1:58 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

The R10's are closed and they are very comfy.......

biggrin.gif

Now lets see, what would be the winning lotto number this week?
confused.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 7:04 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by devwild
see, now that won't work, cause now we'll all win like 50 cents
smily_headphones1.gif

What we SHOULD do is pool together that money earned and buy Head-Fi.org half of an R-10
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back