Need Cheapish DAC/AMP combo for Desktop PC
Jul 19, 2013 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

o0paradox0o

New Head-Fier

I'm currently in the process of building a high performance computer for work / play.. and I want clean/clear, good audio for the system.

What I need is a good quality DAC/AMP combo that will allow me to get a clean digital signal to a moderately good set of speakers.

I've been considering 3 different sets of speakers for this system: (In no particular order)

Corsair Gaming Audio Series SP2500

Audioengine A2

M-Audio Studiophile AV 40

What I would like to know is what would be a good but cheap DAC/AMP combo to pair to one of these speaker sets that allows me to get clean good / studio quality speakers and also has a output for my headphones as well.

I've looked at a lot of things. Considered internal sound cards, various different external desktop pc oriented sound devices but frankly,.. I'm stumped with what is the best option / best performance on the cheap for this sort of setup.

Not a nooby audiophile. Musician and former studio tech w/ a good ear for good sound.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

yours,

- DarkAgent

Jul 19, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #2 of 8
Cheap?? I got a Fiio E10 DAC/HP Amp outputting to a Fiio A1 to some bookshelf speakers....Sounds great... to me.  YMMV

Also Schiit (SP?) makes some cheap DACs and Amps

Jul 19, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #3 of 8
The Fiio E10 DAC definitely has come up during my research and is a definite consideration. 

However,... I should not need any sort of extra amp past the DAC.. as all the above listed speakers are powered sets?

So I'm essentially looking for a very clean / cheap DAC for desktop purposes that could do one of these speaker sets justice.

PS. It would be great to hear from someone that either has one of these speaker sets or is at least familiar with them for a point of reference. It's the combo of what with what I'm looking for to gain a superior sound.

Jul 19, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #4 of 8
I recently purchased the Shiit Magni/Modi amp/dac, but I use this setup with Grado headphones. I've never used this combo through desktop speakers, and I don't know how the Magni (amp) will power the speakers. I can say that the Modi (dac) is inexpensive at 99$U.S. and sounds very nice for its price, real nice, and they are made in the states. Also the inexpensive Magni (amp) at 99$U.S. sounds very nice also, but like I said above , I never heard it through desktop speakers. I'm sure someone on this forum has used this setup with desktop speakers, and will reply. this is just a suggestion.
If you look at the bottom of the Head-Fi site, you will see NEW ARTICALS on the right side of the page, which I noticed after I replied to your post. The buyers guide (6th) down from the top is for desktops, It lists the Shiit Magni/ Modi combo and others to consider, but their prices are higher than you mentioned.

Jul 19, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #5 of 8
Mangi / Modi setup is also nice. Just trying to find a nice... fairly cheap.. middle ground that would give me everything I need to both cleanly drive a nice set of speakers and headphones essentially.

Not seeing the specific post your referring to...? Could you like me to it perhaps?

Jul 19, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Mangi / Modi setup is also nice. Just trying to find a nice... fairly cheap.. middle ground that would give me everything I need to both cleanly drive a nice set of speakers and headphones essentially.

Not seeing the specific post your referring to...? Could you like me to it perhaps?

This is not a specific post, it's at the very bottom (scroll all the way down) of ANY page you are on to the right side under NEW ARTICLES.

Jul 20, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #7 of 8
Ok but I need some other opinions on this subject as well. I'm looking for an all-around good DAC for a desktop system that will be able to deal with headphones and a studio speaker set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back