Need Cheap USB DAC advice
Nov 9, 2008 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Traddad

500+ Head-Fier
My Chaintech AV-710 has the death screech and I need some way to get music from the 'puter to my stereo. I can switch back to the on board card (motherboard) but I'd like a small, cheap DAC (or a new card). It will be stationary.
So far my choices are
a) alien
b) One of HotAudio's dacs
c) an open box M-audio 192 (or other)
d) a Fubar II

Any suggestions?

Nov 10, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't beat BantamDAC for value.

I'd love one but I: a) need one yesterday (the AV-710 death screech is unnerving) and b) I solder about as well as I dance. I could probably improve but I really dislike working on stuff I don't have a basic understanding of. I'm an ecosystems ecologist not an EE.
wink_face.gif

How does the Bantam compare (sonicly) with the Alien?

Also....someone buy FA's Wharfedales. I just got a set of 8.2s and they are the best speaker purchase (bang for the buck) that I have ever made.

Nov 11, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #8 of 33
I just got an Alien today, and its sounding great through my Starving Student Millet into my Grado Sr80's.
My AV710 had the death screach also, and i had to constantly reinstall the software to make it stop, otherwise it sounded great really.
The AV710 sounded better than my Creative external NX2, and the Alien sounds more detailed than the AV710 as far as i can remember, but i dont have a direct comparison handy.

I havent heard any other usb dacs to compare.
Sounds more detailed than my internal soundcard in my Acer PC, but im not sure if its as warm. Maybe a bit more forward with more highs, not sure yet, its new.

Nov 11, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #9 of 33
You check on the FS forums, the AlienDAC and BantamDAC compare very similarly, just check to make sure you have nice output caps on them. There are actually a couple FS now. At the price being asked, it's a nice fully-built DAC.
Thanks for the Wharfedale plug, they're awesome and pack some serious bass. The new single-driver hemp ones I got just have more detail and they're brighter which is what I like more for speakers, plus they have better WAF.
tongue.gif

Nov 13, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #10 of 33
Wow your going to make me wish I had a better DAC.

I just piced up a fubar II because I switched jobs and don't have a pc at work anymore. Now I am going to have to use a laptop with only a USB out.

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #11 of 33
Hey guys, just though I'd bump this thread as I'm thinking about getting a USB DAC.

So I'm actually looking for a USB DAC to connect from my laptop to my LDI+ with DT770 2005s'. As I'll only be using it at home I'm thinking a desktop DAC might prove better bang for buck.

USB DACs can be powered externally or by USB, is this right? The only option I've seen so far is the Fubar II. Does anyone else have anymore suggestions? Would an externally powered desktop DAC prove more effective than a USB powered smaller portable DAC?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Ohyeah, as the thread title implies, I'm looking for a CHEAP option. Somewhere around $100USD, maybe less. If spending a bit more will prove more effective, I might consider it. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back