Need an upgrade $200-300.
Sep 14, 2009 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mminutel

500+ Head-Fier
I have been out of the headphone game pretty much since I bought my K81DJs around two years ago. Anyways, backed with a nice college refund check, I am thinking it is time to reward myself. I would like to keep it around $200-300, but I might be flexible with that.

For the headphones, I don't care whether they are open or closed since I have my own room in which to listen to them. They have to be comfortable though. Even after a couple of years, I need to take a break from the K81DJs after as little as an hour. Keep in mind that the only thing I have to drive them with is a DIY Pimeta.

The type of music I listen to varies from Coheed and Cambria to the Fall of Troy to Jay-Z to Death Cab to Radiohead. I would also like them to preform well when I watch the occasional movie on my computer. The last things is that I occasionally play Counter-Strike. When I say occasionally, I mean that it is so rare anymore that it probably shouldn't even influence my decision, but it would be nice.

I hated to make another thread for this, but I have went back as far as 30 pages over the last few days and have yet to find anything that has made me lean towards a certain headphone.

Thanks a lot,
Michael Minutelli

Sep 14, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 8

Postalisback

100+ Head-Fier
Personally, I think the DT 235 would be a good choice in terms of comfort, and also they have a clean sound with a nice but not overly-done bass, so I'm not really sure whether that is good for you since you are coming from an AKG K81, I think it works very well with the music you mention.

I have the DT 231 Pro (DT 235 is an updated version with some isolation), and I think they sound very good with all of the music you mention, not to mention DVDs too, of which I have watched quite a few, and I play Counter-Strike Source quite a lot and they perform well there, too.

I have also tested the DT 231 Pro on onboard sound and they sound fine, a nice & clear sound to them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Link :-

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-ma...-235-black.php

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #3 of 8

mminutel

500+ Head-Fier
Sorry, I am looking for something in the 200-300 range. Those headphones seem to be on the same level as the ones that I currently have.

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #6 of 8

mminutel

500+ Head-Fier
How do the D2000's sound from an iPod? The only amp I have for it is a DIY CMOY. It would be nice to be able to take them on the go, but that is one of the furthest things from my mind.

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #7 of 8

nullstring

Headphoneus Supremus
this is one of the headphones were an amp is described as "optional"

But it'll certainly sound better from your pimeta.

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #8 of 8

mminutel

500+ Head-Fier
Well... I have had this University refund burning a whole in my pocket ever since my last scholarship paid. I love getting paid to go to school. Anyways, I just ordered the D2000s. It should be a significant upgrade to my current headphones. I may be back to post some reactions and maybe search for a better amp a little later.

The seller wont ship to anything other than my billing address.
frown.gif
I e-mailed him about it so hopefully he will. I won't be able to get them for a while if they have to ship to my home address...

Users who are viewing this thread