Need an expert DIYer opinion and help!
Apr 9, 2006 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MaxAudioMax

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

I don't know anything of DIY but I was wondering if this was worth while:

Situation: My father has an old combo of STAX 1969 (yr?) SR-3/SRD-5 electrostats and they are in horrible condition. I thought it would be cool to fix it up for him for his B-Day. I haven't listened to them because the wireing is all messed up but he said that the capacitators were shot? Would someone be willing to do the job for cheap or teach me what to do if I furnished the parts and did shipping and all. Are these even worth fixing up? i heard that they aren't great but it would be cool for him because they were his first high-end headphone when he was younger.

WHAT DO I DO!?

my email is max_rousseaux@hotmail.com

Regards

Apr 10, 2006 at 5:41 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxAudioMax
Hey all,

I don't know anything of DIY but I was wondering if this was worth while:

Situation: My father has an old combo of STAX 1969 (yr?) SR-3/SRD-5 electrostats and they are in horrible condition. I thought it would be cool to fix it up for him for his B-Day. I haven't listened to them because the wireing is all messed up but he said that the capacitators were shot? Would someone be willing to do the job for cheap or teach me what to do if I furnished the parts and did shipping and all. Are these even worth fixing up? i heard that they aren't great but it would be cool for him because they were his first high-end headphone when he was younger.

WHAT DO I DO!?

my email is max_rousseaux@hotmail.com

Regards

doesn't STAXs uses high DC voltage to drive it? that is if i'm not wrong about it.
if yes, then i would strongly suggest you find someone that has proper knowledge/experience to do it. don't risk your life. just a simple cap change could possibly be hazardous if it's not discharged properly.

Apr 10, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #3 of 4
Apr 10, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #4 of 4
Well, here are a few ideas:

http://www.yamasinc.com/

This is the authorized Stax repair center for the United States. You probably wouldn't find the price you're looking for, but on the other hand, they will be able to fix it.

I just did a quick search to see if I could turn up Stax amp schematics. I didn't find anything, but that could also mean I wasn't looking in the right place. But generally, you should have the schematics and service notes for something you work on. Most things have to be aligned (tuned) a little to get them where they should be. Without this information, it makes things harder.

And the problem might not be entirely the amp, either. Electrostatic membranes do deteriorate over time. There's a good chance they will have to be replaced, too.

Don't worry too much about the caps holding a charge this many years. Even if they were charged, they probably wouldn't hold a lethal charge. But they can hold a very memorable one. If you don't know how to discharge a cap, don't mess with it.

Anyhow, I'd recommend you badger Stax for its schematics and service notes. They might give, or sell, you copies of them. Then I'd build a simple headphone amp, like a CMOY to learn how these things work. Then build something a little harder, like a Dynalo or a Millett Hybrid. Maybe restore an old tube radio if you have one around. Once you get one of those working, you'll have a pretty good idea what's going on inside the Stax amp and you'll be able to do it.

As for the headphones, I'd just send them in. ESL panels are touchy and it's a pain to remove and replace them. Let the pros handle that.

Will it be worth it? Yes. They will sound good, your Dad will appreciate it (especially if you fix it) and you'll be able to borrow them when he's not listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back