Need an amp that sounds better than SR-71!.
May 22, 2005 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

TURBO

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi. I just sold my Gilmore Lite so I am using the SR-71 as a stationary amp. It sounds so beautiful that I think it will be very difficult to find a substitute. That's another story. Any ways I am looking for something with superior sound. There is not point to get something that sound worse. I was thinking about a M3 or PPA. Price wise around 400. What you guys recommend? Please, mention from which vendor too. TIA
confused.gif

May 22, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

I just sold my Gilmore Lite so I am using the SR-71 as stationary amp. It sounds so beautiful that I think it will be very difficult to find a substitute. That's another story. Any ways I am looking for something with superior sound. I was thinking about a M3 or PPA. Price wise around 400

I think the M3 sounds better than the SR71, but not by a whole lot. It has more bass presence and fuller sounding mids. The M3 (rockhopper audio) is better on the bottom end (wider bass presence) while the SR71 is better on the top end (more air and instrument separation). The M3 has a slightly less resolution than the SR71, but sounds more natural and has a deeper soundstage. The SR71 has better imaging.

I'm curious myself as to which amps sounds better than the SR71 at the $300-400 level (supermacro users hold your horses!!)
smily_headphones1.gif

May 22, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 19
It would help if you could define "better". Some people look to their amp to provide a slight coloration to the music that is not on the original recording. Others want to hear every detail that the recording can provide. I have used the SR-71 since it first came out for portable applications and it can compete with amps costing much more IMO. I find that it does a very good job of being faithful to the source. I have spent many hours switching amps back and forth and I have found the SR-71 hard to beat. Others may have their preferences but the differences between amps is smaller than some will lead you to believe. I have seen many spend a great deal searching for the elusive best amp. Lately I have been trying to enjoy the music rather than continuing down the hardware junkie path.

May 22, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
I'm curious myself as to which amps sounds better than the SR71 at the $300-400 level (supermacro users hold your horses!!)
smily_headphones1.gif

If the sound of the M3 is close to the SR-71, I can live with that. It will be just fine. What I don’t want is to spend a lot of money and find out that the SR-71 sounds close to those. For example, I read a review where the guy says that the SR-71 sounds better than the XP-7(because of the opamp) and very close to the HR2. So, I said myself, why spend that kind of money for something that will sound close to my SR-71?. I am very close to get the M3. I sent an email to Mr RockHopper, but no replys yet.

May 22, 2005 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb
It would help if you could define "better". Some people look to their amp to provide a slight coloration to the music that is not on the original recording. Others want to hear every detail that the recording can provide. I have used the SR-71 since it first came out for portable applications and it can compete with amps costing much more IMO. I find that it does a very good job of being faithful to the source. I have spent many hours switching amps back and forth and I have found the SR-71 hard to beat. Others may have their preferences but the differences between amps is smaller than some will lead you to believe. I have seen many spend a great deal searching for the elusive best amp. Lately I have been trying to enjoy the music rather than continuing down the hardware junkie path.

I am planning to have the SR-71 as a portable amp, so I am looking for the closest sounding amp to the SR-71 in the 300-400 range for stationary use. Thanks.
wink.gif

May 22, 2005 at 11:50 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

It would help if you could define "better". Some people look to their amp to provide a slight coloration to the music that is not on the original recording. Others want to hear every detail that the recording can provide

I don't think the M3 is technically better than the SR71. I say it's "better" because I happen to enjoy the M3 a bit more than the SR71. The most likely reason for this is the fuller mids and wide bass. I hear more "meat" in the music, so to speak.
biggrin.gif

I don't believe the M3 is any more colored than the SR71. IMO, I think the reverse is true. SR71 is more colored than the M3-- i.e. the M3 is closer to source than the SR71, but I'm not a musician so I may not know what I'm saying here.

Quote:

I am planning to have the SR-71 as a portable amp, so I am looking for the closest sounding amp to the SR-71 in the 300-400 range for stationary use.

If you're looking for a stationary amp that sounds closest to the SR71-- i.e. a "home" SR71 without going to Ray's XP or HR series, then I don't think you will be disappointed with the M3.

May 23, 2005 at 12:07 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
If you're looking for a stationary amp that sounds closest to the SR71-- i.e. a "home" SR71 without going to Ray's XP or HR series, then I don't think you will be disappointed with the M3.

That's what I thought. Thanks.

May 23, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #8 of 19
Turbo,
I remembered your post from late April because I had just received the Gilmore Lite and I also live in Miami, listening with Grado 225. What happened to your following statement?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TURBO
The Gilmore Lite sounds beautiful. So yes, it is worth every penny plus 0.5 more. You will never see me selling it, to replace it for any other amp in this world. I use it with my SR225 and my HD600. Is like, it's been made in heaven. Make sure you keep it running for a week, until your ears adapt to the sound of this beauty. Go for it!

May 23, 2005 at 2:00 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by bongomon
Turbo,
I remembered your post from late April because I had just received the Gilmore Lite and I also live in Miami, listening with Grado 225. What happened to your following statement?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Gilmore Lite sounds beautiful. So yes, it is worth every penny plus 0.5 more. You will never see me selling it, to replace it for any other amp in this world. I use it with my SR225 and my HD600. Is like, it's been made in heaven. Make sure you keep it running for a week, until your ears adapt to the sound of this beauty. Go for it!"

I heard the SR-71. I believe in the evolution of my senses (as I called upgraditis). As soon as I heard this puppy, I said to myself, I can find another amp that sounds like this one. Just love the sound of this amp. I am looking for my home version of the SR-71. In other words, upgraditis kicked in. That's all.

May 23, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by TURBO
I heard the SR-71. As soon I heard this puppy, I said to myself, I can find another amp that sounds like this one. Just love the sound of this amp. I am looking for my home version of the SR-71. In other words, upgraditis kicked in. That's all.

I think you may have clarified this already, but you obviously are smitten ray's amp, i can tell you that his secret is the way he voices them, he voices his amps that simply let the music shine and sound so good - if you are looking for home version of sr-71, i would suggest you stay in house and find a used xp7 or hr-2. I almost bit the bullet on a used xp7 for 300, and i currently have a hr2 i got for 550 on audiogon.

Other solid state options that are voiced on the warmer side of things would probably be a M3 of some variance or even the GS-1, which is supposed to be a gilmore but voiced on the warmer side of things.

May 23, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
I think you may have clarified this already, but you obviously are smitten ray's amp, i can tell you that his secret is the way he voices them, he voices his amps that simply let the music shine and sound so good - if you are looking for home version of sr-71, i would suggest you stay in house and find a used xp7 or hr-2. I almost bit the bullet on a used xp7 for 300, and i currently have a hr2 i got for 550 on audiogon.

Other solid state options that are voiced on the warmer side of things would probably be a M3 of some variance or even the GS-1, which is supposed to be a gilmore but voiced on the warmer side of things.

I was thinking to get the xp7, if this amp would come with the AD797, but that's not the case. I know the opamps are like 8 bucks each but I hate to open amps for rolling opamps. Besides all reviews mention the superiority of the SR-71 to the XP-7, because of the opamp that uses. The GS-1 was in my sight but again, we need to jump to a over 700 amp. This is crazy. My wife told me that she will get divorced, if I spend more than 400 in an amp.

May 24, 2005 at 6:29 AM Post #12 of 19
why not ask ray to sell you an XP-7 with AD797 ?

Or just buy a second SR-71. Or a Supermacro 3, and then you'd have two portable little beasts, each with its own light flavoring.
icon10.gif

im not trying to spur a macro vs. 71 debate here, just throwing the option out there.

May 24, 2005 at 9:32 AM Post #13 of 19
Turbo, there is a good chance that Ray will have his amps at the meet in Plantation, FL on 6/4. JMT will send an M3 if he has it finished in time and I am hoping for a GS-1 to be here as well. This is your best opportunity to try out amps without buying.

May 24, 2005 at 10:24 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
Turbo, there is a good chance that Ray will have his amps at the meet in Plantation, FL on 6/4. JMT will send an M3 if he has it finished in time and I am hoping for a GS-1 to be here as well. This is your best opportunity to try out amps without buying.

Thanks. Yes, I will do my best to attend.

May 24, 2005 at 10:33 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils
why not ask ray to sell you an XP-7 with AD797 ?

Or just buy a second SR-71. Or a Supermacro 3, and then you'd have two portable little beasts, each with its own light flavoring.
icon10.gif

im not trying to spur a macro vs. 71 debate here, just throwing the option out there.

Yes, I did. I am in hold right know, with all may horses in hold with something and learning about the M3. Definitely, I won’t get a second SR-71 for home. This battery replacements are going to drive me crazy. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back