Need an AMP for Alpha Prime headphones!
Dec 5, 2016 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

chimney189

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for something to power Alpha Prime headphones. I've looked around a bit, but from what I've been reading most amp/dacs that people use are within the $450+ range, which is a bit unfortunate in my case because I'm looking to spend $250 max and under! -------> although the DarkVoice 336SE seems nice!

Can anyone assist me in this search?

At first I was thinking of the 02 + ODAC amp, but I've read on some forums that it is underpowered for Alpha Primes, especially since I'm the type of listener that keeps on pushing volumes higher and higher until my head goes numb.
basshead.gif

Dec 5, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #3 of 10
Would it be better to get an AMP and a DAC, or is it necessary to have both? I'm also powering HD650's, so I heard that tubes work really well. This is why I am having a sudden interest in the DarkVoice336SE.

However I have heard the Schiit Magni 2/Modi 2 combo works wonders as well.

Dec 5, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #4 of 10
  Would it be better to get an AMP and a DAC, or is it necessary to have both? 

What are you currently running your headphones out of? If you don't already have something decent to connect to the amp I would say to get the DAC and Amp. The Magni 2 has enough power too for the Alpha Prime.
  I'm also powering HD650's, so I heard that tubes work really well. This is why I am having a sudden interest in the DarkVoice336SE.

I would recommend to get a solid state option first as with your current budget there are not many options for tube amps.

Dec 5, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #6 of 10
According to their website that is a software? (http://www.creative.com/oem/products/software/x-fimb5.asp) 
Or am I looking at the wrong one?

Dec 5, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #8 of 10
Well it seems decent enough so I wouldn't say you need a DAC and amp. You could go for just an amp first if you like. Maybe buy the Magni 2 first and use the rest of the money to save up for a tube amp later?

Dec 5, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #9 of 10
Would it be better to get an AMP and a DAC, or is it necessary to have both? I'm also powering HD650's, so I heard that tubes work really well. This is why I am having a sudden interest in the DarkVoice336SE.

However I have heard the Schiit Magni 2/Modi 2 combo works wonders as well.
I would think the Darkvoice would be good with the 650's but not so much for the Alpha Primes. OTL's and Planars don't really work that well together.

Dec 5, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #10 of 10
I would think the Darkvoice would be good with the 650's but not so much for the Alpha Primes. OTL's and Planars don't really work that well together.

What makes you say that? :wonders nervously considering an order was just placed for the DarkVoice from Massdrop: 
redface.gif

"The reason the volume dropped on the Darkvoice when you plugged the mad dogs in is because it's an OTL amp. This means that the amount of power it is able to output goes UP with higher impedance where as solid state would go down. So if you plug in a headphone with low impedance but high power demands, the OTL will output less power. Mad Dogs are orthodynamic and have low impedance and heavy power requirements so OTL is about the worst amp you could pick for driving that kind of headphone. OTL is best with high impedance dynamic headphones like the HD6x and HD8x. Headphones you would want to avoid with an OTL would be your orthos like HE4x,HE5x,HE6x, LCD's, Fostex etc." <--------------- got this off of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65r9Q21Yxno

I mean, will this mean I won't be able to hear Alpha Prime at higher volumes? I don't want to get a SS amp and only be able to go up a 1/4 of the way before my ears want to bleed. Although I can push those limits sometimes..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back