Need an AMP/2nd headphone for beginner setup
Apr 23, 2018 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DogJosha

New Head-Fier
I'm new to headphones and have been combing through tons of info just to feel like I'm going in circles. Seems like everything is too dependent on application and everyone has a wide variety of preferences to just go by given information without asking for help with my own specific scenario. So here is what I have so far...

Right now I have a Sennheiser Game One that I use with my PS4. Heard it has good soundstage which would be good for a surround sound effect. To go with that, I had bought an Astro Mixamp Pro. That is the current limit of what I have. To complete the setup I was going to buy a Schiit Magni 3. I thought I was all set to go, but my situation got more complicated. Now I'm trying to use my headset at work, and open acoustic just isn't working out due to leaking way too much music.

I was looking into a closed acoustic headphone with decent bass and comfort is a HUGE issue for me, which is why after trying a few different headsets I ended up with the Game Ones. So I'm looking at trying the DT 770 Pro now for a closed headphone. From reviews it seems to have better bass than the Sennheiser, and should be quite comfortable with the velour pads. So I have a few questions.

Can I use the Magni 3 with my PS4 setup, and all by itself with the DT 770 Pro, or do I need the Modi 2 for the second setup?
Would it be worthwhile if I just went with the 32 ohm DT 770 Pro unamped instead of the 80 ohm amped?
Is there a worthwhile portable amp that I could just use with both setups and eliminate the Mixamp Pro?
Any other suggestions for comfort/bass over the DT 770 Pro for a current non-audiophile?

Apr 23, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #2 of 4
You could daisy chain the Magni 3 off the Astro Mix-amp's headphone jack.
The Astro provides the headphone surround sound function, for the PS4.
You could replace the Astro Mix-amp, with a DAC that has an optical input, but would loose the headphone surround sound function, that the Astro provided, for use with the PS4.
Hifimediy optical DAC.
ttps://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/SPDIF-9018-DAC?sort=p.price&order=ASC
So you would be gaming in stereo audio, which is fine with some people and the Hifimediy DAC should provide better audio quality, over the Mix-amp.

Apr 23, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #3 of 4
Yeah, the first thing you mentioned was what I was set to do, until I needed something for work too. Would it just be a good idea to buy the Magni 3 for my PS4 setup and the 32 ohm DT 770 Pro for work without an amp? I don't feel like toting TOO many cords back and forth from home and work and I'm trying not to go much past the point of buying a single headphone and amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back