Need an advice (AKG K501 owner)
Jun 18, 2002 at 10:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Maxi

New Head-Fier
Hello!

Yes, a board newbie here. I have AKG K501 headphones and I mostly listen to music via computer where I have managed to go around the "bass" problem by boosting lower frequencies; I'm happy there. Where I am not satisfied is watching movies. I could use some more bass there. The question is: are there any headphones which have the same great sound like the AKGs have but with more bass? Are there some other AKG models which would satisfy me or do I need to switch brand?

Thanx in advance!

Maxi

Jun 18, 2002 at 4:25 PM Post #2 of 20
You may want to try the Sennheiser HD600 but you may find they have way too much bass. I don't. I just find the bass a bit wooley and indistinct, or omnipresent, especially with tubes. But with the RA-1, no problem at all. The top end is pretty clear and clean on the HD600. Put some extra current on them and select some appropriate interconnects like Kimber PBJ and you're off to the races. The Sony V6 is apparently good for bass too.

Jun 18, 2002 at 5:59 PM Post #3 of 20
Maxi: The K240S could be exactly what you're looking for - worth a try, I guess...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jun 18, 2002 at 6:40 PM Post #4 of 20
Thanx for the advices. It's good to notice that newbies are handled with care here
rolleyes.gif

The Sennheiser HD600 was first on my mind but budget-wise it would have hurt too much. I have more or less decided to get myself Beyerdynamic DT770Pro -headphones. A friend recommended them and they seem to be a good compromise of various things. The price (155 eur) is also attractive.

I also have to admit: I like my current music setup. Once you have gotten around AKG 501s "bass problem" (via EQ settings or super/dynamic bass) they sound absolutely fabulous (bouncing up and down while writing this). It might be the case that the DT770Pro -headphones will only be used when watching movies.

Maxi

Jun 18, 2002 at 6:47 PM Post #5 of 20
You might find the HD600s a bit veiled if you really love the 501s.

Jun 18, 2002 at 6:56 PM Post #6 of 20
Maxi: Are you sure about the DT770Pro/250? I think you should better audition and compare it to the DT531, DT990Pro/250 and DT250/250, first. All of these have the famous Beyerdynamic bass, but the DT770Pro/250 has got a little too much of that bass in my opinion - even if it's Tomcat's most favourite in the Beyerdynamic line-up.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: The DT531 is widely availabe for 99 Euro in Germany...

P.S.: Another issue with the DT770Pro might be comfort - especially if you're used to the K501, the DT770Pro might feel like a vice because of its clamping force...

Jun 18, 2002 at 7:38 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Nezer
You might find the HD600s a bit veiled if you really love the 501s.

I forgot about that. If you are used to the open clear sparkling highs of the AKGK501 which goes up to the stratosphere, you will find the HD600 veiled, rolled off and dull in the highs.

Jun 18, 2002 at 7:40 PM Post #8 of 20
Hmmm... this seems to be a difficult one. There is also the matter of availability: a store nearby has some Beyerdynamic models but I don't remember which models they had there. I'm heading there tomorrow to do some shopping. Currently candidates are: DT250, DT531, DT770Pro.

Edit: Does anyone know how these three will manage without a headphone amp? I don't fancy buying one...

Maxi

Jun 18, 2002 at 8:36 PM Post #9 of 20
maxi: I think I'd avoid the DT770Pro/250 without headphone amp, because without good control the bass might be too overwhelming and get sloppy. The K240S, DT531 and DT250/250 should already work quite fine with your computer - and the DT250/80 would be even easier to drive, but compared to the other recommendations you should hear a noticable roll-off in the highs.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jun 18, 2002 at 8:53 PM Post #10 of 20
I need to correct myself here: I get music from the computer but I transfer it to my Onkyo amp which has 5x 100W power and it drives the AKG K501s well enough.

Edit: the real question is: is it still enough or am I mistaken on this matter? Does DT770Pro/250 still need a seperate headphone amp to sound good?

Maxi

Jun 18, 2002 at 9:10 PM Post #11 of 20
For a good start your Onkyo should be quite fine. Nevertheless, headphone outs on everything else than headphone amps usually are only a by-product or an additional feature, which can be implemented quite cheaply, and thus don't get enough attention by their designers. For most integrated amps and receivers that means basically a loudspeaker out with some additional resistors and a different connector. That doesn't necessarily produce bad sound, but headphone amps still have the edge because of their optimized circuitry...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jun 18, 2002 at 10:38 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Maxi
I need to correct myself here: I get music from the computer but I transfer it to my Onkyo amp which has 5x 100W power and it drives the AKG K501s well enough.

Edit: the real question is: is it still enough or am I mistaken on this matter? Does DT770Pro/250 still need a seperate headphone amp to sound good?

Maxi

If you're amp drives the 501s adequatly I would imagine it would power just about any other dynamic headphone wihtout sweating.

But then again, you do say you EQ the hell out of it to compensate. A properly powered 501 isn't *that* bass shy it just doesn't have the deep bass extensions. This seemingly tells me that your amp isn't enough (remember, jsut because it's reated at 5x 100W doesn't mean theyput **** into the headphone jack).

If you want more bass for movies you might seriously try a real headamp and back-off that EQ. The 501s need the power though to get those drivers moving at the lower frequencies!!

Jun 18, 2002 at 11:01 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

But then again, you do say you EQ the hell out of it to compensate. A properly powered 501 isn't *that* bass shy it just doesn't have the deep bass extensions. This seemingly tells me that your amp isn't enough (remember, jsut because it's reated at 5x 100W doesn't mean theyput **** into the headphone jack).

You are right there. It might also be the fact that I'm beginning to lean towards the lower end and I'm compensating it that way. I'm doing the EQ-part at the computer so it doesn't affect the movie experience. Perhaps I don't need the headphone amp if I'll settle for a headphone which that doesn't need all that power for it to sound good. But that headphone amp deserves some thought....

Afterthough: I'll probably buy a headphone amp in the future

Maxi

Edit: the movies don't lack bass that much... I just want to have some more different bass

Edit2: I don't actually add bass that much when when listening to music. I just think that the bass normally is a bit "flat" but it's still there. I think "EQ the hell out of it" is wrong expression here.

Jun 18, 2002 at 11:39 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Maxi
Edit: the movies don't lack bass that much... I just want to have some more different bass
[/I]

You know, if you want good and different bass that's easy to drive, try out the Sony MDR-V6/7506. Reasonably priced too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back