need amp to drive Denon D5000's? ($300-$400 range)
May 14, 2009 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

JohnnyCakes

Formerly known as talkingmuffin
don't need a DAC.

was thinking either the Headroom Micro or the Gilmore Lite.

what would you suggest? I'm clueless.

thanks in advance...

May 14, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #5 of 23
is the Headroom Micro worth the $333? Or is the Micro Ultra with upgraded parts ($600) that much better?

I think I want solid-state, not tubes. thanks

I would probably go with the Gilmore but it's backed up 3 weeks and I need this pronto.

May 15, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by gonzalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Head Direct EF1, great hibryd amp for denon's, very very nice sounding combo

okay..

i've read almost everything about this in these forums, so let me pose this:

Head Direct EF1

or

Xcan V8

or

Meier Cantate 2

or

Headroom Micro Amp ?????

i've heard raves about all of them with the D5000's.

i also have picked up that the D5000's are low impedence... WETF that means...

does that mean if i get a low impedence amp, that when i eventually get the Senn HD800, i'll have to get another amp for it?

again, i'm wary about getting into the whole tube-thing... but will if it's indeed THAT much better...

thx guys

May 15, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #8 of 23
For low impedance headphones like denon solid state is generally better. I really like the audio gd c2c or purity audio kicas or caliente. havent heard the other amps your asking about.

May 15, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #9 of 23
I've been looking at amps in the same price range for my D2000s, thought I'd share my research.
biggrin.gif

The AudioGD C2C is meant to be excellent with Denons. I've read some people compare it favourably to the EF1, though Skylab and others think they are at a similar level, main differences coming down to taste.

I'm also looking at the KICAS Caliente, compared to the C2C here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...gd-c2c-424507/

I'll probably end up with one of the two.

I looked at the Xcan V8 and Cantate as well but they both seem to cost a fair bit more (an extra $150-200) and I don't need the DAC. You're paying for the DAC in these as well as the amp.

Anyway this is just what Ive found from a bit of reading
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers

*EDIT*
I should add that the comments I've read and highlighted above were all made specifically regarding use with the upper end Denons (D2000/5000/7000).

May 15, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #10 of 23
how about ttvj millet hybrid portable. i have tried it with d2000 stock and the sound was so musical and acoustic, articulate, great atmosphere(ambience). About The bass is well controlled, but i prefer rsa hornet
biggrin.gif
for the bass. The hornet does have more speed and space in bass.
I haven't tried ef1. It definitely different level with my d3 phyton.

May 15, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toby M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been looking at amps in the same price range for my D2000s, thought I'd share my research.
biggrin.gif

The AudioGD C2C is meant to be excellent with Denons. I've read some people compare it favourably to the EF1, though Skylab and others think they are at a similar level, main differences coming down to taste.

I'm also looking at the KICAS Caliente, compared to the C2C here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...gd-c2c-424507/

I'll probably end up with one of the two.

I looked at the Xcan V8 and Cantate as well but they both seem to cost a fair bit more (an extra $150-200) and I don't need the DAC. You're paying for the DAC in these as well as the amp.

Anyway this is just what Ive found from a bit of reading
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers

*EDIT*
I should add that the comments I've read and highlighted above were all made specifically regarding use with the upper end Denons (D2000/5000/7000).

great info... thanks!

after reading way too much... i think i'm going to go with the Purity KICAS Caliente.

May 15, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #13 of 23
"EDIT: One thing I did want to mention, I am using 1/2 Markl Modded Denon D7000. Bass is quite controlled compared with stock and especially compared with d5000 and I assume d2000. I think the Caliente might be a bit much bass for an unmodded Denon with certain mixes. YMMV.

I dont think you can go wrong with either amp. They are both incredible."
Posted by TheBigD here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...gd-c2c-424507/

(The other amp he's talking about is the C2C)

Might be better to go for the regular KICAS rather than Caliente for unmodded D2000 I guess. Its meant to have very slightly lower bass. Decisions decisions!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #14 of 23
I really liked the sound of the D5000 with my EF1, with the one exception that the EF1 can at times make the bass very boomy. It's fun most of the time, but at times it can be a little much. On the other hand, the amp gave the D5000s a really beautiful transparent quality and excellent soundstage.

I also thought the D5000 mated extremely well with the Compass. I know you don't need a DAC, but it's in your price range and it really sounded good. Maybe the above Audio CD C2C would give you an even higher level of performance in that price range without providing a DAC.

May 16, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #15 of 23
I found the Gilmore Lite (w/ DPS) mated with unmodded D5000 to be too bright. The treble was piercing. And the speed, detail and movements to be dizzying. My issue was never with the bass, which was probably a bit toned down by the slightly bass-shy GLite. This was after a fair amount of burn in.

The same GLite + DPS paired with the markl-modded D5000 (stock cables) has been glorious. The shrillness is gone, along with the dizzyness. The bass is very tight, but seems a bit light on some tunes (on others, it's perfect and thumping). Mids have been brought out and are on beautiful display.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back