Need amp help for hi-rez home system
Jun 22, 2002 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Philharmonic Tom

New Head-Fier
I've decided to plunge into a home based hi-rez headphone system. I currently have 4P's running directly from a portable source for travel. I'm thinking of the Sen. 600's matched with a quality amp in the $1-2,000 range and that's where I need help. In my stereo system I'm partial to tubes. I have auditioned many SS amps and preamps and always go back to tubes. I like rolling and customizing the sound. Tubes sound more real to me.

So I've read about the HR Max and would try it out but can someone compare it or describe the sound of the Berning OTL, MG Head and Ear? I've looked through the boards but haven't seen this adressed. Are there any other tubed amps I should look into? (If its >$2,000 don't exclude it from the discussion). Please educate me about what's out there.

I listen to large scale classical orchestral music so I'm looking for detail and separation of the many instruments, wide soundstage and tonal purity. Getting the timbre of each instrument correct is a priority. No processed music. Earth shattering bass is not a priority but micodynamics are.

Thanks for your help.
Tom

Jun 22, 2002 at 2:52 AM Post #2 of 5
I can only compare the old Max and regular MG Head (non-OTL). Max definitely wins in detail, soundstage, and instrument separation. Max has a smooth sound, though definitely not romantic or sweet.

Oh, and are you talking about the Ear HP4 or Earmax?

Jun 22, 2002 at 2:55 AM Post #3 of 5
For your type of listening you might also look into the AKG1000 driven by an Antique Labs Tube amp.
That combination comes just in a tad above $2000.

Jun 22, 2002 at 3:14 AM Post #4 of 5
HD600 (maybe with foam removed) ($300ish)
Cardas Cable ($150)
EAR HP4 ($3500ish)
Cary 306/200 ($5000ish)

That EAR pulls micro details out of nowhere. On one recording I didn't just hear a shaker, I was trying to count the number of beans hitting the plastic. One would be hard pressed, IMHO, to find more detail out of a headamp.

Jun 23, 2002 at 9:47 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by Philharmonic Tom
I've decided to plunge into a home based hi-rez headphone system. I currently have 4P's running directly from a portable source for travel. I'm thinking of the Sen. 600's matched with a quality amp in the $1-2,000 range and that's where I need help. In my stereo system I'm partial to tubes. I have auditioned many SS amps and preamps and always go back to tubes. I like rolling and customizing the sound. Tubes sound more real to me.

So I've read about the HR Max and would try it out but can someone compare it or describe the sound of the Berning OTL, MG Head and Ear?...

EAR HP4, EarMax Pro, AudioValve RKV, Wheatfield HA-2, Wilson Powell DCT-1. You may also want to look at the ASL UHC-Signature -- I had good results connecting it to a Manley Stingray -- especially if you already have high-end speaker amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back