need amp for grado 325
Oct 1, 2002 at 2:27 AM Post #2 of 12
Check out the Ear 4 or Ear+ from Mapletree Audio Design. The kits for each are $275 and $325, respectively, if you can assemble them. Search for Nick Dangerous's reviews for more info.

Other than that you can probably go with most of the standard options in your price range. Just look for something that can put out a lot of juice -- current's very important to keeping Grados happy.

kerelybonto

Oct 1, 2002 at 2:39 AM Post #3 of 12
kerely gave you some good options. Also, check out the grado ra-1, which I'm pretty sure you could find for that priced, if not new, used.

Oct 1, 2002 at 3:47 AM Post #5 of 12
There is only one person making the Mapletree amp. Sales are direct only.
I am leaning heavily towards this amp for my Grados also.
Just to let you know, I asked Lloyd if I could custom an amp for a couple of hun more. He said that there was not much more he could with the design to make it sound better<hint: good deal>
good luck,
md

Oct 1, 2002 at 3:53 AM Post #6 of 12
No. Mapletree's not the vendor -- it's the designer/manufacturer. You can't get it elsewhere, except used.

The Ear 4/Ear+ is still on my list, but I'm probably going to end up buying one of antness's KG Dynamics for my HP-2. I decided to stretch my budget to the mid-$400 range because I think it will be worth it.

Oh, wait a sec -- email Dr. Lloyd Peppard (the man behind Mapletree) and see if he still has his demo version of the Ear 4. He offered to sell it to me assembled for an even $300, I think, but I never took him up on it because I didn't have my HP-2 yet. He assembled it himself and it bears serial number 1. And talk to him quick or I might decide I want it again.

kerelybonto

Oct 1, 2002 at 10:15 PM Post #10 of 12
Hi guys...

Thanks for the suggestions thus far, and i am leaning toward the Corda Blue. I know this is a jump in price point but some how i feel it will be worth it. Are there any amps within this new price range i should also consider?

Oct 2, 2002 at 12:30 AM Post #11 of 12
See my post over in the Corda "Blue" thread.

And are you planning on buying assembled or putting it together yourself -- it makes quite a bit of difference in what your price range would be.

kerelybonto

Oct 2, 2002 at 5:40 AM Post #12 of 12
I wouldn’t mind putting it together myself, esp. the Corda because I could put in the new components without ever using the old. The only hesitation i have on building the amp myself is of sound quality. Can the quality of sound from the amp vary to a great degree if put together as a DIY kit? I am sure that my soldering skills are not up the level of say KurtW or Jan Meier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back