Need AMP+DAC recommendations for my newly purchased "DT990 Premium 600o"
Jan 23, 2015 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

idiotz0rz

New Head-Fier
Title says it all.

I've looked around and I've came across Schiit Magni 2 + Modi 2 (I've heard the stack is the way to go). I'm just not sure if they're the best choice that I have atm.

Also, if someone could explain why I'd need the DAC and how much difference it'd make, that'd be great too. (Please get as technical as possible and explain everything to the best of your ability as you make your recommendation as I'm an idiot and can only understand when I'm giving enough details).

Thanks!

Jan 23, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #2 of 33
What's your budget?

The DAC converts the digital data into an analog signal. The one on your computer is nearly guaranteed to be inferior that of a quality external DAC. You don't need it. You also don't need an amp. They will however help get the most out of your music.

Jan 23, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #3 of 33
What's your budget?

The DAC converts the digital data into an analog signal. The one on your computer is nearly guaranteed to be inferior that of a quality external DAC. You don't need it. You also don't need an amp. They will however help get the most out of your music.

around $300 for both I suppose. If I only had to get Amp, I'd say $200 but, amps, from what I understand, are there to stick around for a very long time.

I think my overly priced Sound Card (Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Championship series) already does convert digital signals to analog signals, but since I've not seen any specs for it, I'm going to assume it's pretty crappy.

On that note, would getting a DAC help a lot?

Jan 23, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #4 of 33
Headphones make the biggest difference, then amps, then dacs. I would get a DAC if I were you, even if only a basic one like Modi.

Magni and Modi are a nice pair. I personally like Vali more than Magni. Either way, you'll come in user $300.

Jan 23, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #5 of 33
Headphones make the biggest difference, then amps, then dacs. I would get a DAC if I were you, even if only a basic one like Modi.

Magni and Modi are a nice pair. I personally like Vali more than Magni. Either way, you'll come in user $300.

Should I go for the basic one or the Uber version? Also, how do FiiO's do compared to the Schiit stack?

Jan 23, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #6 of 33
No experience with Fiio gear, and the Ubers just came out, so I have yet to hear them. Try the specific threads in the amp forum, they might be able to give you more specific answers on specific pieces of equipment.

Jan 23, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #7 of 33
What's your budget?

Ehh, what? His can has 600 ohms and you're saying he doen't need an amp.

Jan 23, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #8 of 33
Ehh, what? His can has 600 ohms and you're saying he doen't need an amp.

I've run 300 ohm Senns out of an iPad to painful levels without maxing out. YMMV.

Of course sound quality should improve with a quality amp.

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #10 of 33
  around $300 for both I suppose. If I only had to get Amp, I'd say $200 but, amps, from what I understand, are there to stick around for a very long time.

I think my overly priced Sound Card (Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Championship series) already does convert digital signals to analog signals, but since I've not seen any specs for it, I'm going to assume it's pretty crappy.

On that note, would getting a DAC help a lot?

Any sound card converts digital signals to analog. That's pretty much what they do. :) In fact, in your case I would recommend that you not spend money on a DAC - at least not right away. You may be OK with Creative. They are not terrible, just not quite audiophile.

Get yourself a good amp, listen to some music, and learn more about what you like or dislike. My $0.02.

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #11 of 33

Any sound card converts digital signals to analog. That's pretty much what they do. :) In fact, in your case I would recommend that you not spend money on a DAC - at least not right away. You may be OK with Creative. They are not terrible, just not quite audiophile.

Get yourself a good amp, listen to some music, and learn more about what you like or dislike. My $0.02.

Agreed, before using a DAC with my Lyr, I'd connected my Phoebus Solo to my Lyr, really can't complain about SQ as it was fine. Only reason why I'm temporarily using my Fostex HPA4 as DAC is for DSD playback (DSD compatibility is important to me as I have about 1.4TB of DSD files, will be replacing the HPA4 with an SMSL M8 dedicated DAC)). If it weren't for this, I believe I'd have been satisfied with my Phoebus Solo acting as DAC....

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #12 of 33

Ok fair enough. I need an amp before looking for a DAC. Now what do I get? Do I get Magni 2? Or FiiO E9, FiiO E11 or E12? There's still a lot of amps out there and I'm as clueless as ever :frowning2:

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #13 of 33
  Ok fair enough. I need an amp before looking for a DAC. Now what do I get? Do I get Magni 2? Or FiiO E9, FiiO E11 or E12? There's still a lot of amps out there and I'm as clueless as ever :frowning2:

The A20 is really nice for your cans, I have those as well :) However it might be too expensive for you. I would not use FiiO amps in this case. More like Schiit or JDS Labs I think - I havent heard it with them though. The reason I'm mentioning A20 is because it has been tuned for the Beyer cans.

Feb 3, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #14 of 33
Did more readings here and there. Found FiiO to be inadequate for what I'm looking for. So it came down to Schiit stack vs O2+ODAC. Then based on other readings, I decided to just take the amp first and if I needed a DAC, get the dac later. Based on that, it was magni vs o2. There were a review that compared schiit's stack against o2+odac and they were pretty much the same, so I decided to take O2 instead of magni 2 uber, since, they're supposed to be technically the same.

I'll be receiving O2 pretty soon and I might give a review based on that and use it with my other cans. 

Next item on the list: Tube!

Feb 3, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #15 of 33

The best desktop amp will typically be better in power output than the best portable amp at the same price because it has the advantage of being able to draw more power from a wall socket. Thus, for 600 ohm headphones, the Magni 2 would be my choice. If you want to save a little money, get the original Magni which is on closeout for $79.

Edit: Nevermind. Just read that you got the O2. Congrats :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back