Need Amp + Cables + K-701, but need to pickup locally in NYC.
Mar 5, 2006 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

InSides

100+ Head-Fier
Although I've pretty much settled in my current system [see signature] there are a couple of quite important things still missing. This mainly includes a dedicated headphone amp, some better interconnects, as well as maybe another headphone set?

I was pretty set on getting a Headamp Gilmore Lite + PSU, but had to delay that plan since the duty fees and local taxes are outrageous locally. Combined with paperwork costs, it would most certainly double what i have to pay for the amp itself.

That said, I am going to New York early in May, and will be staying for a week. I would like to get everything I need locally, and bring it with me when I get back home instead of using the postal system.

I am looking for recomendations from you guys, but please note that this stuff has to be able to be picked up locally in NYC. So, here is what I need:

- A dedicated headphone amp. Needs to play nice with the HD-650, and maybe with the K-701 in the near future. I might try to contact Justin again and try to arrange to have the amp shipped to the hotel I would be staying in, but I am open to additional options [locally in NYC].

- 3 pairs of analog interconnects [no longer that 0.5m]. Need to go in between CDP > Preamp > Headamp > Power Amp.

- 1 pair of analog interconnects for the E-MU 1212m [RCA-to-TS]. No longer than 1.5m.

- Optionally, if availability is better in May, I would also like to get a pair of K-701's. Again, locally in NYC.

Budget is ~$1,000 for all this, and that should include the K-701's. I might be able to stretch that just a bit more.

Again, my current equipment is listed in my signature. To aid in recommending, I should say I listen to most various types of music [country excluded], both vocal and instrumental, and prefer tranparency.

EDIT: Make that 3 pairs of analog interconnects, as an additional one would be required for the headamp.

Mar 5, 2006 at 2:26 PM Post #2 of 5
For your budget you might want to look on the internet and arrange for all of it to be shipped to the hotel. You could do second day shipping. The extra money will be worth it since you will pay full price shopping locally in the city. With the 650s I say go with any brighter type interconnect but not much of an issue if you go with the Gilmore because it's already pretty revealing. There are too many options to list. (FYI, a STEPS power supply for the Lite is probably a little better than the Headamp PS and someone could build one for you for ~$150 and customize the voltage.)

I would imagine there would be several mailorder shops in NYC area that might carry the K701s by early May. Ground shipping would take 1 day for them. Take a look on CNET or try J&R Music World.

It might take some work and a little risk, but you could easily come in under your $1000 budget with a great setup and it would all be shipped right to you at the hotel. With the money you save you can travel to Best Buy and go on a CD buying spree!

Mar 5, 2006 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 5
Cool. I got the HD-650's off J&R anyhow [had a friend bring them over].

I do realise that the options are overwhelming. But I was kinda hoping for some specific recomendations from someone with a similar setup and preferences. I would prefer to audition equipment, but I am in a tight spot here - I won't have the time to do so, and being able to pick the stuff is so much more convenient [not to mention cheaper here].

BTW, the Headamp PSU comes to about ~$200 anyhow [and aesthetics is a factor], so I'm thinking if I do decide to go ahead with Headamp, I'd get the complete package. I don't mind saving money, though. I still have a shiny new Gibson Flying V I need to pick up when in NYC.
eggosmile.gif

So, any specific recomendations on the stuff here? I do welcome personal preferences.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #4 of 5
I personally did like the Lite in the sense that I thought it's midrange was too forward. However, it's still a great amp and many people here like it. However, you need to factor in the K701s which may pair very well with that amp. If you are looking for around ~$500 US, I recommend you look at Ray Samuels stuff, or even what I have whch is a Channel Islands VHP-1/VAC-1 combo. I do like my VHP-1 with my 650s and the VAC-1 gives the 650s plenty of bass.

The K701s are turning out to need a lot of power for 62ohm headphones. They are not nearly as sensitive as Grado or Etys. They need juice. I think the sound of the opamp (TPA6120) in the VHP-1 is great and I really like it's detail and layering of sound. It's been reported to be as transparent as the Lite in a review between it and the Lite.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=vhp-1

Like most ss amps, this amp drove my 650s and K701s equally well. I'm sure a European version is in stock. It also has a gain switch which is nice if you also use sensitive phones like Grado and Etymotic. This amp is revealing and dead quiet. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I'd give a slight edge to VHP-1 if you won't be using Grado headphones. Good luck.

Mar 6, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #5 of 5
Bump.
smily_headphones1.gif

Any more recommendations? I would like to get some more opinions if possible, since I should probably get started coordinating the purchases if I am to complete everything before May.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back