Need advice with 12AU7 tubes
Dec 11, 2007 at 11:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Blackmore

Headphoneus Supremus
I am looking for some new tubes to play with and these are on my list:

Amperex 7613 Holland made
Amperex BugleBoy Holland made
Raytheon - not sure which type of these - WINDMILL?
Telefunken smooth plates
Philips Holland
Philips Miniwatt Holland
Mullard long plates from 1950's-60's

I need to know which one would sweet more using with GS1000 phones. All of them are very nice-great tubes, but just tell me what you think of it please.
What I need is simply this:

BASS
HIGHS
MIDS
SOUNDSTAGE

How well some do with all or maybe just partially. And what would be the best for the money, in that regard.

THX

Dec 12, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking for some new tubes to play with and these are on my list:

Amperex 7613 Holland made
Amperex BugleBoy Holland made
Raytheon - not sure which type of these - WINDMILL?
Telefunken smooth plates
Philips Holland
Philips Miniwatt Holland
Mullard long plates from 1950's-60's

I need to know which one would sweet more using with GS1000 phones. All of them are very nice-great tubes, but just tell me what you think of it please.
What I need is simply this:

BASS
HIGHS
MIDS
SOUNDSTAGE

How well some do with all or maybe just partially. And what would be the best for the money, in that regard.

THX

It would help to know which 12AU7 you use now to steer you toward your wishes. In *general* for GS1000, I would assume you want to bring the midrange forward without making the treble/low-treble overly forward or more grainy.

All the amperexes you mention would do that to a degree; though, depending on the particular tube's condition, some might result still in some peakiness or graininess.

The Mullard longplates would really sweeten the upper-mids and bring out full mids and soundstaging but tends to have less apparent detail/texture. Might suit GS1000 really well, though. Buy the ecc82 versions, NOT the military M---- versions. I prefer the cheaper ecc82 versions.

The Raytheon you mention is probably the 5814 "windmill getter." Do NOT get these. These are extremely hard and peaky sounding where GS1000 doesn't need any more peakiness. The Raytheon 5814 you want are the early versions with D-getters. These are awesome, detailed, sweet tubes, probably the same tube as CBS/Hytron 5814.

My faves are Siemens Halske early 5814a, but you are likely not going to find any. It's also going to be too "neutral" for GS1000
smily_headphones1.gif

If you have a few bucks, you might want to give the Electro Harmonix 12AU7 a shot. I found it surprisingly GREAT in certain tube circuits, often beating expensive NOS depending on the amp.

Dec 12, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #3 of 5
Main use

1 Sylvania Gold Pins 5814A- highs are not in great control, metallic kind of and they are sucking with mids a bit, but bass is just great

2 Mullard ECC82 - simply very good tube, bit old and have some noise, but when new must be great. Bit like nr.4 but less mids, just little less, but the rest is pretty much the same, however the highs are more present as well.

3 Telefunken Smooth Plate - very, very good, but also old and a bit noisy, but when new would be on top. Highs more present/sweet, not harsh, just right, not overwhelming, but full mids and amazing controlled bass.

4. Mullard ECC82 CV491 - The best from Mullard line, I believe and that's maybe the true. Highs are smooth, overwhelming, not boomy mids, just all you can get and really good bass as well.
However with music like Marcus Miller the mids would blow your mind pretty easy, so you have to be prepare
biggrin.gif

That's why I was asking about the total different line of tubes, you know, just to try them out and see what happened.
I have read that AMPEREX 7316 are the best from Amperex ever made and I never heard one so far.
Raytheon been described as the best possible 12au7 as well, WINDMILL I mean or just 5814A
confused.gif

So, if I must choose is nr. 3&4 would be my first one and nr.2 as second, however may depend on music style.

Once again, thanks for your info.
cool.gif
:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would help to know which 12AU7 you use now to steer you toward your wishes. In *general* for GS1000, I would assume you want to bring the midrange forward without making the treble/low-treble overly forward or more grainy.

All the amperexes you mention would do that to a degree; though, depending on the particular tube's condition, some might result still in some peakiness or graininess.

The Mullard longplates would really sweeten the upper-mids and bring out full mids and soundstaging but tends to have less apparent detail/texture. Might suit GS1000 really well, though. Buy the ecc82 versions, NOT the military M---- versions. I prefer the cheaper ecc82 versions.

The Raytheon you mention is probably the 5814 "windmill getter." Do NOT get these. These are extremely hard and peaky sounding where GS1000 doesn't need any more peakiness. The Raytheon 5814 you want are the early versions with D-getters. These are awesome, detailed, sweet tubes, probably the same tube as CBS/Hytron 5814.

My faves are Siemens Halske early 5814a, but you are likely not going to find any. It's also going to be too "neutral" for GS1000
smily_headphones1.gif

If you have a few bucks, you might want to give the Electro Harmonix 12AU7 a shot. I found it surprisingly GREAT in certain tube circuits, often beating expensive NOS depending on the amp.

Dec 13, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 5
5814A's have some very nice sounding brands. I like the RCA 5814A in my modded SRPP input stage Doge 6210 because it has a richer and warmer sound with a more forgiving treble ..... and this character works best with my Grados.

Dec 13, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #5 of 5
Just bought some Mullard tubes today, exact same as on picture. Mullards have the best midrange and very smooth top end with great bass, which not disturbed the overall detail as well.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back