Need advice on portable DAC/Amp for Denon d2000
May 18, 2011 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Frylock

New Head-Fier
Haven't bought the headphones yet, will do once the price drops a bit hopefully. But pretty much narrowed it down to the denon. Source is through laptop, ipod and iphone which have pretty bad DAC's. I travel a bit so it has to be portable . The E7/E9 combo is pretty much out. I'm thinking Fiio E7 or ibasso D4 mamba. My limit is $200. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.
ive done a ton of research and people have varying opinions. some said the d2+Boa sounded crappy with the denons and others have liked certain amp's but didn't pair well with the denon's etc etc. 

oh and the sound signature i'm looking for is warm and bassy. not to add to the treble or sparkle. my grado sr80's have enough of that :)

May 18, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 4

[size=small]
  1. Input impedance: 25 ohms
  2. Sensitivity: 106 dB/mW

[/size]  

I've never listened to the Denons, but if the above specs (found on Amazon) are correct, the E7 should drive them very nicely and the three-stage bass boost of the E7 will be dramatically noticeable on closed cans. 

May 18, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 4
Well I just bought the denon 2000 and I've been messing around with portable amps myself. The first one is got is the Fiio E5 which everyone calls a joke but in my opinion it sounds pretty good. I was one of those people calling it a slight bass improving joke myself until I bought the line out cable for my sony player and plugged the amp to the line out instead of headphone jack. Its good. Obviously its not a dac though. Last week I just bought the uha 4 dac/amp combo which is good as well. However, like you, I love warm bassy, sub bass filled sound. yea i'm a basshead. Thats y i got the denons to begin with. I think the uha-4 misses the mark for me there. See bassy is a very relative thing. To be honest reviews are good but at the end of the day you have to try stuff for urself to judge it. By now I've used my uha-4 for about an hour and I'm thinking of returning it(not because the sound is bad but cause its missing that heavy bass feeling i enjoy in my songs. some people may love its sound signature. To me even the E5 sounds heavier than uha-4 which I like. You can check out the specs. E5 goes as low as 10 Hz while uha-4 goes down to 13 Hz I believe so that explains it I guess). If that does not work out I'm interested in selling this uha-4. So let me know if ur interested and we can work out a deal hopefully.

May 18, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 4
@jcred . i know it will drive them , some people claim denon d2000 doesn't even need an amp. but i'm also looking at a marked improvement in sound, like bass, clarity etc.

@coolneasy. as we're both bassheads as u described i don't think i will like the uha-4 as well. and thats the problem with high end audio. each product is catered for different tastes. some are nuetral, some focus on clarity or bass.

anyone have some experience with the ibasso's ? or any other portable amps with the denons

Users who are viewing this thread

Back