Need advice on my first decent IEMs
Sep 14, 2010 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ddoingwell

100+ Head-Fier
Hiya.

Never thought I'd see the day...I'm about to purchase my first set of decent IEMs after finally and reluctantly buying my first portable player.

The choices available to me and within my meager budget are:

Klipsch Image S4, Philips SHE9800, Denon AH-C551, and VSonic R02Pro.

There are others too but my home is a Sennheiser-Free Zone. The 4 I've mentioned are all about the same $$$ to me so it won't be a budget related choice deciding between them.

Any commentary on the models mentioned is appreciated. I want clarity over thump; music choices include jazz, nujazz, lounge/old guy stuff ect.

Also, I'd BUY someone's cast-off upgradeds too so send me an email if you have something to flog.

Big Thank You
Don

Sep 14, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #4 of 19
When you say VSonic R02Pro, do you mean the very old one that ended up being rebranded as the Beta Brainwavz? VSonic themselves ended up updating it to the R02ProII but a spin-off company (ViSang) now makes an R02 that is quite a bit better. Even the $35 ViSang R01 can compete with the S4 and R02Pro/ProII quite easily.

Sep 15, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #5 of 19
OK...THANK YOU. Now we're getting somewhere.

Thanks for the info on ViSang ljokerl . Yes, I was referring to the VSonic R02Pro-II.

The four models I mentioned are all available to me in Aussie, though the VSonic comes from reputable on-line seller Headphonic in Perth. The other three I can go buy in a store and that appeals to me more than buying eBay items where I got a very dodgy set of AKGK324Ps recently. I see that the ViSang are available through Shenzhen Audio Store on eBay and that seller is well known on head-fi. Should I give them a try? Wudyathink?

[size=medium]DshenzhenAudioStor[/size][size=medium]shenzhenAudioStore[/size][size=medium]shenzhenAudioStore[/size]

Sep 15, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #6 of 19
I bought mine from an eBay seller named lionking735 (I think). There's really no way to get these other than through eBay and I haven't heard of anyone not receiving theirs so I wouldn't worry about it. Better than getting ripped off locally (no way an R02ProII should cost as much as a Klipsch S4).

Sep 15, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #7 of 19
I think I've seen s4 for around $50 sometimes.
Vann's just sold out their s4i's
They were around $60.
I would consider $30 and $50 to be roughly in the same price range.

Sep 15, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #8 of 19
I've got a pair of Hippo Shrooms that are great with clarity but very bass light. It's there and accurate but you definitely won't feel it. I listen to a bit of Jazz and music along the lines of Jack Johnson and they worked well with that. I really enjoyed them for a while, only reason I'm letting them go is because I found a really good deal on an upgrade.

Oct 6, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #9 of 19
OK...a few weeks later now. I bought some ViSang RO2s and I am VERY DISAPPOINTED. Hollow, harsh sound with almost no bass at all. I was gifted a set of AKG K324s in the interim and they're so much better I want to scream. Still though, I was really wanting so much more. Even a $9 pair of Philips SHE9500 are warmer and nowhere near as ear-bitingly hard. The AKGs are OK but nothing like I was hoping to get from the reviews I'd read on the ViSangs. Sad. Very Sad.

So now I want some real opinions please: will anymore than 30 hours use warm up the Visangs or am I stuffed? They cost me $48AUD and will cost half that to return them to Hong Kong. What a bother..

Oct 8, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #11 of 19
Hm, forget Philips. I never much cared for their sound quality. Too tinny and bass is never up to standards.
I considered buying the Klipschs sometime before I settled on my Sennheiser IE8. If you can dish out the cash, I think multiple 
balanced armatures are the way to go. Like consider buying a klipsch custom series instead. But if you're strapped for cash, I say the
S4 is a good bet. (just be careful with the cable. I don't know about the S4s, but the older Klipsch earphones are a durability nightmare)
If you can afford it, get a pair of multi-BA driver earphone with replaceable cables like the SE425. (excellent value since its a lot cheaper than the predecessor SE420)

Oct 8, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #13 of 19

Quote:
Hm, forget Philips. I never much cared for their sound quality. Too tinny and bass is never up to standards.

That's a silly thing to say considering Philips sources their tech from a dozen different OEMs. Their headphones and earphones never sound alike - no 'house sound' whatsoever. Some are trash but some are very far from it. The Philips HP1000 is one of the most enjoyable headphones I've heard and a lot of the others, while not 'giant killers' are simply good value for money.

Oct 8, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #14 of 19
ljokerl, I had no idea. I guess I must have tried the lousy stuff. A headphone with clarion speakers and their 9800 IEMs. 
I guess I won't judge Philips outright from now on. But somehow I don't see Philips beating Shure, UE or Sennheiser. I think I'd stick to those brands.
Besides, I am familiar with the Shure and Sennheiser "house sound" and love them both. Odd considering that they are sort of opposites.

Oct 8, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
OK...a few weeks later now. I bought some ViSang RO2s and I am VERY DISAPPOINTED. Hollow, harsh sound with almost no bass at all. I was gifted a set of AKG K324s in the interim and they're so much better I want to scream. Still though, I was really wanting so much more. Even a $9 pair of Philips SHE9500 are warmer and nowhere near as ear-bitingly hard. The AKGs are OK but nothing like I was hoping to get from the reviews I'd read on the ViSangs. Sad. Very Sad.

So now I want some real opinions please: will anymore than 30 hours use warm up the Visangs or am I stuffed? They cost me $48AUD and will cost half that to return them to Hong Kong. What a bother..

I haven't heard the R02s, but often when someone says that an IEM is harsh and has no bass, it's a fit problem.  Are you sure the tips you are using fit properly?  Have you tried different tips?  Have you considered Complys or Sony hybrids?  You could always try them, and even if they don't fix the problem, you can use them on whatever your replacement is.  Most dynamics have about the same size nozzle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back