Need advice on how to "clean up" pictures?
Jul 28, 2005 at 12:27 AM Post #31 of 43
biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2005 at 4:46 AM Post #33 of 43
Few different ways to correct the edge aliasing.

Before you create a path you make a selection. The selection area can be modified with the Feather command from the Select menu - this creates a "soft" border between selected and non-selected areas. Then process as a path.

When creating the Work Path it sounds like you have your Tolerance too low when a value is asked for. 2 (pixels) is the most common Tolerance for path from selection usage but feel free to experiment a bit and find a better choice factoring in the alias processing errors created by the compression alogrthym of your camera.

Between the two of those (Feather being the more useful and controllable) you'll get edge aliasing out of your clips.

Jul 28, 2005 at 9:06 AM Post #34 of 43
I've never really used paths in PS but I'd imagine that it's a ton of work to create a mask using paths. In a realatively simple picture such as the example it may be feasable but in most cases I'd guess it would take forever to get it right. Am I overlooking something here?

Jul 28, 2005 at 9:13 AM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fastjack
I've never really used paths in PS but I'd imagine that it's a ton of work to create a mask using paths. In a realatively simple picture such as the example it may be feasable but in most cases I'd guess it would take forever to get it right. Am I overlooking something here?

the problem is that the combination between using a path/selection ( pen tool ) and drowing a quick mask with soft borders is the only way to achieve very precise works on even very big canvas .
then it depends on what you're making a mask for , sometimes you can be more tolerant , other times you can't at all.

Jul 28, 2005 at 4:00 PM Post #37 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fastjack

You can create a mask from a path, and you can create the intial path from a selection. If making a selection is easier make the selection and then modify with Feather before making / saving it as a path. If you do not wish to make it a path, simply leave it as a selection and then still modify it with feathering.

Your choice either way.

To create a path from a selection:

(1) Make your selection using any selection tools of your choice. Magic Wand, lasso, Select / Color Range - anything, your choice.

(2) Modify the selection using Expand, Contract, Smooth, Border, Feather, Grow, Transform, Inverse or any other selection modification method you wish

(3) In the Path palette click the small right-pointing arrow in a round button to drop down the actions menu. Click "Make Work Path"

(4) Enter in your tolerance. For this purpose "1" or "2" are the most common selections, but any setting will change the alias areas of the output so feel free to experiment if you wish. Hit ENTER.

(5) Double click the new work path created in the palette, named "Work Path". This will bring up a "Save Path" dialog. Rename the path's layer, or leave it as default if you wish. Hit ENTER.

(6) Click on the path's layer in the Path palette to reconfirm it is selected for action.

(7) Click on the right arrow in a round button again. Click on "Clipping Path". Confirm that the correct path layer (by name) is selected in the drop down box. Enter in a Flatness. If outputting via a PostScript Level 1 printer use a number higher or equal to 4. If outputting via a PostScript Level 2 printer or screen you can choose as low as 1. Hit ENTER.

You now have a valid work path, saved, from a selection area.

Jul 28, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #38 of 43
Don't forget to consider color correction. Although this might take a while to get used to, it makes a difference if you correct a photo that has a slight color cast. In PS CS2, make a duplicate of the image, and create an adjustment layer using the Curves function. You could also use the Levels function as well. As far as Sharpness, I would consider reshooting and getting sharpest image possible with your camera.

Jul 28, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake
You now have a valid work path, saved, from a selection area.

Wow, thanks a lot, man. I've just been playing around with that for a few minutes and this combination of selections and paths is indeed pretty awesome.
biggrin.gif
It's really amazing how powerful PS is if only one knows how to combine its many tools.

Jul 28, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #40 of 43
biggrin.gif

9557Beyerdynamic_DT_770-80_front-med.jpg
9557Beyerdynamic_DT_770-80_side-med.jpg

Still many imperfections so don't look too closely. Anyway, the rest of the pictures is here

The action replay function was really sweet.

Jul 29, 2005 at 4:13 AM Post #41 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
biggrin.gif

Still many imperfections so don't look too closely.

At the size you're posting they look great - like, what imperfections? Don't worry about it - what people don't know can't / won't hurt them.

The secret to magic is never tell them they are looking at a trick!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 29, 2005 at 9:13 AM Post #42 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
Can anybody tell me how to easily and quickly "clean up" pictures for galleries, reviews, etc.? For the following picture I would like to have the entire background white but since I'm pretty much a no-good when it comes to things like these, I only know how to use the eraser on MS paint, which takes an eternity to clean up the picture. Another thing is that I have about 25 pictures like that and would rather have it done more conveniently. Any programs or tricks of doing it in a smarter way than MS Paint...?

Thanks a lot!

9557150-5001_img.jpg

You can use magic wand, but Its crap, I never use magic wand,
what you can do is impose a duplicate layer, on the duplicate top layer, adjust briightness and contrast untill the barground is white, you cand air brush the rest out with simple selective color palette. then erase the top player portion with the headphones and flatten image.

Jul 29, 2005 at 9:55 AM Post #43 of 43
You could always just buy a sheet of white construction paper that will fit the frame of the picture. Tape it to the wall above the top of your framed picture, and run it down under the glass head you have. It will make it look like you have a white background without the photoshop work.

Here's an example of a picture of my portable rig I took earlier.

30157745-M.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back