need advice on headphone, thanks
Jul 15, 2002 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

lala

New Head-Fier
need a sealed headphone mainly for use in office.
need it to be comfy and work well w/o amp
will mostly use it with protable CD player or computer for almost all kinds of music. I'm not audiophile though
earbuds are out of consideration
better be under $100, but I'm open to suggestions

Thanks a lot

Jul 15, 2002 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 9
a good beginner's headphone is probably the sony mdr-v6. it's cheap, indestructible, has great sound and decent noise blockage. it is easily driven with any portable cd player, unamped. street price is usually around $60, although last time i looked etronics.com no longer carried it.

just what i've heard, although i don't own a pair of them. i have bought them for friends though, simply on how great their recommendations generally are.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2002 at 8:10 PM Post #3 of 9
The audio technica a55 is an excellant choice. They can be found at www.audiocubes.com

You can search for my reviews of them.

They are extremely comfortable, and they block at a good amount of noise, and they prevent others from hearing your music.

Jul 16, 2002 at 6:20 AM Post #4 of 9
thanks guys.

still have some more newbie questions:

I heard ppl saying sony V6/7506, but also heard somewhere that these two are not exactly the same. Can someone clarify that for me? Which one to get? seems V6 is getting discontinued in most places.

also learned from other threads that there're ppl recommending Senn HD280Pro and Beyer 250s and 831s(though these exceeds my buget but I'm willing to squeeze more if that's a lot better). How do these compare in terms of comfort, easiness to drive and sound quality)? I don't care too much about isolation as long as ppl sitting several feet away won't hear me.

thanks, and would be great if anyone can provide info on where to get them. Right now I'm leaned towards the V6

Jul 16, 2002 at 6:49 AM Post #5 of 9
The v6/7506 are exactly the same sound wise, the only differences are the 7506 has a gold plug and the price. One person on here has a pair with one side labeled v6 and the other 7506.

Jul 16, 2002 at 7:43 AM Post #6 of 9
The DT831 will need an amp, the 250-80 while good from a portable also benefits from an amp.

If you're willing to go for the 250-80 and a portable headphone amp, you'll be set, otherwise the Sony 7506/v6 is a good choice
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2002 at 8:00 AM Post #7 of 9
I'd second the 7506 - and I say that as a Senn 280 owner.

The 280 can probably be driven unamplified from a PCDP, but it depends on the unit.

Having slipped on the 7506, I was sorely tempted to pointlessly expand my headphone collection - until I largely solved the comfort issue of the 280 (still not 100% happy though). The 7506 would, I suspect, win on comfort alone - and that's before you take into account the sound.

I've not heard anything overly detrimental on this board about the 7506's sound, but the 280's seem to generate very different views.

This is probably due to the extremely (and overly so for just chillin' listening) accurate sound. Some hate it (yours truly included) and some love it (usually, with the exception of His Eagle_Driverness, people who recommend completely inappropriate phones for any given task).

I can't comment on the Beyer phones but from the comments here they seem pretty awesome when amped.

Go V6/7506. I doubt you'd be disappointed. When you can, get an amp and be an even happier bunny!

PS. I'm amazed that noone has come in with a sales pitch for the KSC-35 yet... HCL factor 8!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back