Need advice on HD800s + Amps
Apr 5, 2013 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Jademalo

New Head-Fier
I'm in a situation currently where I can potentially get myself a pair of HD800s.
I had a listening test with a pair of them and some HD700s yesterday, and I absolutely love the sound of them.

I also would be in a position to get a Lehmann Black Cube Linear Headphone Amp, and from what I've read (and heard - I tried it in the shop with the cans) it's a fantastic match for the HD800s. The two also fit my budget perfectly.

However, I would like some general advice. From what I heard in the shop, the HD800s suit the kind of sound that I like perfectly, and I was incredibly impressed by them. I'm going to see about getting a demo of the Beyerdynamic T1s, although from what I've read they're slightly bassier, which isn't really to my tastes.
Also with regards to the amp, everything I have read so far seems to be incredibly positive, although with note being made to the price being a bit steep. I was wondering if anyone else had any other suggestions or opinions on this spesific amp, but after hearing it yesterday I was impressed, and I did like the overall feel of the sound through it. (I did also read something about this amp being used at the official launch of the HD800s, and that they are a good match - but I would like to know if anyone else agrees)

With regards to my DAC, I've got a Xonar Essence STX, so I'm happy for the moment with the quality of audio that I can get produced from my PC to go in to any amp. I've read many times however that the HP amp on the card isn't substantial for anything beyond a set of HD650s, but I'm looking for a separate unit regardless.

Thanks in advance!

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #2 of 12
DNA Stratus. Name a budget
size]
. To be clear, I actaully LOVE the HD800 + DNA Stratus.

Apr 6, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
Budget is about £1750, HD800s are £1k exactly and the amp is £750.

That amp looks gorgeous... But it's completely out of my price range =[

Vioelectric V200.

Apr 6, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #9 of 12
First you should decide whether you want solid state or tube amp.

I use SPL Phonitor with my HD800. It is outside of your price range, but my understanding is that you can get the SPL Auditor, which has the same amp components as the Phonitor. Phonitor just has a bunch of extra functions.

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #10 of 12
If you want something to tide you over in the meantime you could pick up an M-Stage. It has very good synergy with the HD800. Really. After all, its a BCL copy for a fraction of the cost. Just upgrade the opamp :)

Apr 15, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #12 of 12
Soloist + HD800. 
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back