Need advice on choosing headphones for live sound monitoring (mostly rock bands with some occasional electronic stuff)
Jun 2, 2014 at 10:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jtai117

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I'm a looooooong time reader, first time poster all the way from Australia! I've been instructed recently by one of my mentors to get a pair of closed back headphones (max budget of $400) for when I'm mixing live bands. I'll be using the headphones with a MIDAS Pro 9 system and I also have the EAW PA and my Shure SE535 LTDs as additional reference sources. I've been doing quite a bit of research and I've been to a store to try out a few pairs of headphones. So far, I've tried:
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro
KRK KNS6400
Shure SRH 840
Audio Technica ATH-M50

I'm most interested in the Shure, Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser headphones currently.
So the first question is, how does the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro and the HD 6 Mix compare to the list above?
The next question would be, are there any other headphones that I should consider?
and the last question is, which one would you buy if you were in this situation?

Thanks all for your opinions and sorry for all the questions
 -J

Jun 2, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 8
I'd recommend you get the Beyerdynamic DT770 250 ohm. There's a pair of Premiums in the FS forums that are going for fairly cheap, you should snag them! They're getting more and more rare, the Premiums have been discontinued, get them while you still can!

LINK: http://www.head-fi.org/t/712564/beyerdynamic-dt770-premium-250-ohm

Jun 3, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #5 of 8
What's the difference between the premiums and the pro? Besides the impedance of course.

Well you can get the 250 ohm drivers in the Pro version, it's really just looks you're paying for. But that pair is super cheap, it's about the same as what you would pay for the Pros. 
Also, how do the custom one pros compare?

Not sure, I haven't heard the custom one pros.

Jun 3, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #6 of 8
Well you can get the 250 ohm drivers in the Pro version, it's really just looks you're paying for. But that pair is super cheap, it's about the same as what you would pay for the Pros. 
Not sure, I haven't heard the custom one pros.

Ahh OK. I'll probably end up buy a new pair. Is there anything else I should take a look at before?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back