Need Advice on Buying a New Pair of Headphones
Aug 7, 2013 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

joreily

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm new here, so sorry if I put this in the wrong spot. I'm just looking for advice on a new pair of headphones. I really like to look for bass in headphones, as I'm a basshead. I prefer over-ear style headphones, and I don't want IEM's. I'm running on a tight budget, around $125 or lower. I know that isn't a lot to work with, but I was recently given a fiio e11, so i can use that to boost the bass. I hope that will make it easier to work with my budget. So, thanks in advance, and I hope you guys will be able to find something for me! Thanks!

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #3 of 22
Creative Aurvana Live! look no further. But if all you want is bass, and i mean, only bass, Sony XB500.

Aug 7, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #4 of 22
I've heard some good reviews of the Skullcandy Aviators, but they are priced at around $100 on Amazon. You will likely be able to get a better sounding headphone for less, but they actually look decent IMO and are somewhat compact if you're looking for some portable cans.

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #6 of 22
No headphone that isn't using vibrators like a video game controller in them will have "vibrating" bass unless you're using Sony XB-1000s with a mega bass boost. Headphones just don't really do that because they're not moving lots of air. What they do offer is much cleaner, more realistic bass than speakers.

You would probably be pretty happy with the CAL! or a Beyer DT770 80ohm.

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #7 of 22
Hello!

If you are looking for crazy amount of bass, all Sony XB line will do the drill but if you are looking for better controlled bass than something like the XB line, there's HD439. 

The Skullcandy Aviator are not all that bad as I thought when I tested it xD

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #9 of 22
The bass isn't overpowering, but is still there. Apparently (as I haven't owned a pair), they feel relatively flimsy and don't isolate that well. Other than that, it'll take time to burn them in, but will sound good after that.

This is all based on reviews read here on Head-Fi. Again, I'm definitely not too experienced in the headphone department, so take this with a grain of salt.

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #12 of 22
+1 for Sony XB series. Here is my review of the XB700. But any in the series will have more bass then anything in it's price range. Last I checked, anything under 700 series is "on-ear" though. I also own the Fiio E11, although I am not a bass head myself, I can say the Bass Boost is very good on them.

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #15 of 22
If you want to save some of your money, the AKG K518 LE have really good bass *if* you mod them with a little blue tack and duct tape inside the cup. I'd rate them as $100 headphones in sound, but you can get them for $50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back