Need advice on burning-in HD 650's without an amp.
Mar 29, 2006 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Connectz

100+ Head-Fier
I get my HD 650's in the morning and I want to get started on burning them in right away. The thing is, I do not have a headphone amp. All I have is a small bookshelf cd player, an Intel iMac (17"), an HP PC, and my 60 gig iPod video.

Which one of these pieces of equipment would you suggest I burn them in with if any of them are sufficient? Also, what type of music should I use to burn them in?

I did a search and read that burn-in should be anywhere from 200 - 300 hours (or more).

Thanx again for all your help guys.

Mar 29, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #2 of 10
I wouldn't worry so much about burn in; I might be going against the grain here, but I didn't find that the 650's absolutely needed burn in to sound the best; I loved them from day 1. The sound signature is not going to dramatically change; they still will sound like 650's from the beginning to the end. If you do choose to burn them in, just plug them into a source, make sure that the headphone isn't clipping (distortion sounds during loud passages) and burn them in with anything at your disposal music wise. If you want to be REAL anal, pick mono recordings; that way your left and right drivers burn in at the exact same time.

In all honesty, I wouldn't really worry about it. I'm still debating whether burn in ever existed in my headphones. Maybe it was slightly there, but it certainly wasn't a transformation. If you ask me, the HD650's were at 95% of what they are when burned in.

Mar 29, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
Probably the CD player. What are you doing with the 650's and no amp?

Hey lol, easy. I have a pregnant wife and a 2.5 yr old son to take care of lol. I will get an amp next month, probably in 3 weeks.

Mar 29, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by markot86
I wouldn't worry so much about burn in; I might be going against the grain here, but I didn't find that the 650's absolutely needed burn in to sound the best; I loved them from day 1. The sound signature is not going to dramatically change; they still will sound like 650's from the beginning to the end. If you do choose to burn them in, just plug them into a source, make sure that the headphone isn't clipping (distortion sounds during loud passages) and burn them in with anything at your disposal music wise. If you want to be REAL anal, pick mono recordings; that way your left and right drivers burn in at the exact same time.

In all honesty, I wouldn't really worry about it. I'm still debating whether burn in ever existed in my headphones. Maybe it was slightly there, but it certainly wasn't a transformation. If you ask me, the HD650's were at 95% of what they are when burned in.

Oooh, I gotta take counter-point there. I my HD650s changed dramatically over the course of burn-in, all for the better. I'd estimate a 15% change in the sound signature. The 650 was by far the most dramatic burn in of any can I have owned.

Mar 29, 2006 at 6:41 AM Post #8 of 10
Gah, I'm gonna kinda be on the same boat as you as soon as my K701s come in. No amp, although I heard it's adequate without one. The only amp I really can allow on my wallet is the PA2V2...

Mar 29, 2006 at 6:46 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Connectz
Hey lol, easy. I have a pregnant wife and a 2.5 yr old son to take care of lol. I will get an amp next month, probably in 3 weeks.

LOL!! Go easy on them.... you saw the average age demographic... didn't you
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

If either of those are not powerful enough, you migh twant to burn them in on a stereo receiver. Sometimes (but not always) they have robust headphone circuits.

Garrett

Mar 29, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
Gah, I'm gonna kinda be on the same boat as you as soon as my K701s come in. No amp, although I heard it's adequate without one. The only amp I really can allow on my wallet is the PA2V2...

In your position, I would've thought the K601 with a decent amp (PIMETA, Portaphile, etc.) would have made more sense. Just a thought.
wink.gif

Same for OP: I think a 580 + PIMETA would be more satisfying than an unamped 650, and would give you a similar Sennheiser presentation. I doubt that the superiority of the 650 would be revealed out of a CD player alone...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back