Need advice on $100 cans for a large head
Jan 3, 2011 at 12:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

boy914

New Head-Fier
I've spent many hours reading various postings and product reviews, and I still cannot make a decision on which headphones to get. I listen to music primarily at work (MP3s via on-board PC sound card), using Shure SE110 in-ears. I have found that although I like how they sound, the in-ears make the sound feel like it's coming from the middle of my brain (I believe that's referred to as poor "soundstage"), and after an hour or so of listening I'm exhausted. I'm also concerned about the usual drawbacks of in-ears including hearing loss, etc.

My work environment can be pretty noisy, so I'm leaning toward a closed back design. My criteria, in order of priority:

• Comfort - I have a pretty large head and wear glasses. My only (really crappy) pair of around-ear 'phones ($15 RCA HPNC500) hurt after about 30 minutes of use. I'd really like to find a pair of cans that I can wear all day if needed.
  • Sound clarity - I'm primary drawn towards headphones described as "clear" and "detailed." Basically, I want to hear as much detail in my music as possible.
  • NOT Bass-y - I don't really like a lot of bass in the music I listen to, and I don't like headphones that try to bring out the bass more than what the mix calls for (I tried on some Beats at Best Buy to see what the fuss was about, and immediately took them off)

Here's the list I'm trying to choose from:

1. HD 448 - Front runners right now. They're supposed to be comfortable for people with larger heads, and the only complaint is the relative lack of bass, which I probably wouldn't mind.
  2. MDR-V6 - With the cups swapped out to the velour DT250 replacements, these are pretty appealing. My only concern is that I've owned cheaper Sonys and I've always found the bass to be too boomy. However, the fact that the V6 design has stood for 20 years speaks volumes.
  3. HD 555 - I know they're open back, but they also appear to be very comfortable and I know a lot of people who swear by Senns.
  4. SRH440 - I do like the Shures I have now, and the reviews I've read seem to match what I'm looking for. However, I have read complaints about comfort. Also, since my only other $100+ pair of headphones are Shure, I feel like it might be good to try something new.

A few models I've ruled out:

1. SR-60/80 - Open back, over ear, and apparently uncomfortable. I love the way they look though.
  2. ATH-M50 - I know these are a favorite here, but they're a little out of my price range and I've read they can be uncomfortable for glasses-wearers. I'm also concerned about reviews calling them "bass-heavy"

My music collection is mostly alternative, ranging from very soft (Iron & Wine, Jose Gonzales) to very full (the new Jonsi album "Go" is a favorite right now) to downright blasting (Sleigh Bells).

So, if it's not obvious by now: I'm somewhere between a complete newbie and an audiophile, probably closer to the newbie end of the spectrum. Obviously this being my first decent pair of cans, I'm sure it will be 10x better than anything I have today.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Jan 3, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #2 of 4
well i own and use the srh440 regularly, and can tell you that buying the srh840 ear pads will do wonders for you when it comes to comfort. my only complaint about them is the sound leaks out to much for my liking. other then that, they are pretty good.

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #3 of 4
Hi, I also have a large head and can confirm that the HD4x8s are quite comfortable to wear. They are light, don't exert too much pressure on the sides of your head (so glasses are not a big problem) and they don't make you sweat a lot, even if you wear them for longer periods of time. They are however a little smaller than the HD5x5s, so if your ears are larger than average as well (like mine) you might want to try the HD448s on before you buy them, because they might not be big enough to completely enclose your ears without pushing against your lobes or helices. Sometimes I find this annoying, sometimes I don't. When I do, I use my PX200-IIs instead. Not full-size, but closed back, very comfortable and on ear rather than circumaural, so glasses and auricles are no problem at all.

Jan 4, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks to both of you for the advice. Based on European's feedback and some more research, I'm going to go for the HD 448's. I'll post a newbie review once they arrive and I have some burn-in time under my belt.

One last thing: any reason I shouldn't order from HeadRoom? I've found their guides and customer reviews to be extremely helpful, but I want to make sure they're as reputable as they seem. It looks like the HD 448's are a few weeks out, but I'm not in a huge hurry and I'd rather spend my money with a dealer that supports the community.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back