Need advice for gaming headphones
Jan 26, 2013 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

JB2012

New Head-Fier
Total noob here so please excuse my ignorance. This will be the first decent headphones that I have purchased and I'm a little bit confused after searching this forum as to exactly what I need to buy.  I will be using the headphones for 100% gaming only.  I play predominantly FPS so it's important to me to be able to have positional sound in my setup (I live in an apartment with thin walls so a true surround setup w/speakers is not an option).  I'm thinking of purchasing the DT 880 600 ohm along with the Xonar STX.  It's my understanding that the Xonar will not be ideal for driving these headphones, so I was thinking about purchasing a Schiit Valhalla, WA3, or Little Dot mk iv amp.  My question is...will I lose the positional sound of dolby headphone if I run the DT 880 through the amp?

Jan 26, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 12
I would just get a lower ohm DT880 so you won't have to get an amp.  I'm guessing your playing on pc right?  If so are you getting a virtual surround device, like the astro mixamp? Imho, if your just playing competitive fps, there are better/cheaper options out there, like the ad700.  Take a look here.

Jan 26, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 12
Please go here before you buy the DT880 and read this thread. 
There is a lot of people that have a ton of experience with multiple headphones. Read the first page as well it has a review of the DT880. You have a few choices for FPS positional headphones. I am not a FPS so I could only give non heard opinions not facts. Again skim that thread and post there if you can they can help you I am sure of it.

Edit: MadMolly beat me too it. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 26, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
I would just get a lower ohm DT880 so you won't have to get an amp.  I'm guessing your playing on pc right?  If so are you getting a virtual surround device, like the astro mixamp? Imho, if your just playing competitive fps, there are better/cheaper options out there, like the ad700.  Take a look here.

Yes, I will be playing solely on PC.  So should I just get the 250 ohm DT880 and not run it through an amp and just connect it directly to the Xonar Essence STX?

Jan 26, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
Yes, I will be playing solely on PC.  So should I just get the 250 ohm DT880 and not run it through an amp and just connect it directly to the Xonar Essence STX?

The Essence STX with DT880 Pro 250-Ohm works fine for me.
I have the DT990 Premium 600-Ohm and DT880 Premium 600-Ohm, they are nice sounding headphone, but really better to buy them used for $200 or less.
Otherwise just get the Pro 250-ohm.

Do you play new games mostly or do you ever player older FPS?

Jan 26, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
The Essence STX with DT880 Pro 250-Ohm works fine for me.
I have the DT990 Premium 600-Ohm and DT880 Premium 600-Ohm, they are nice sounding headphone, but really better to buy them used for $200 or less.
Otherwise just get the Pro 250-ohm.

Do you play new games mostly or do you ever player older FPS?

Probably 80% new games and 20% old games.

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #7 of 12
My gaming sound card suggestion would've been the X-Fi Titanium HD since you're planning to use an external amp anyway, but it's ultimately your call.

How old are we talking when you say "old games"? Some people think titles like Crysis are already old when they date back to 2007, whereas "old" to me means dating back to 2004 with Battlefield 2, or 1999 with Unreal Tournament.

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
My gaming sound card suggestion would've been the X-Fi Titanium HD since you're planning to use an external amp anyway, but it's ultimately your call.

How old are we talking when you say "old games"? Some people think titles like Crysis are already old when they date back to 2007, whereas "old" to me means dating back to 2004 with Battlefield 2, or 1999 with Unreal Tournament.

I really don't play older games that much. Company of Heroes occasionally.  But primarily I play BF3, Far Cry 3, I'll play a lot of Bioshock when it comes out in a few months.  I just made the switch from consoles and built my first PC.  Spent about $3,000 and now I want to add a kick ass sound system.  I don't mind spending $700-$800 or so.  But I just don't know where to start since I know nothing about audio.

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:
I really don't play older games that much. Company of Heroes occasionally.  But primarily I play BF3, Far Cry 3, I'll play a lot of Bioshock when it comes out in a few months.  I just made the switch from consoles and built my first PC.  Spent about $3,000 and now I want to add a kick ass sound system.  I don't mind spending $700-$800 or so.  But I just don't know where to start since I know nothing about audio.

You could go for a Titanium HD sound card ($109) with a Schiit Magni external headphone amplifier ($99).
You would be covered for older and new PC games.
Also the Schiit Magni should be able to drive just about any headphone you get.
Plus you will have easy access to a volume knob.

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #10 of 12
Th DT880 would be a good choice. The 250 ohm version would probably work best with your sound card. AFAIK, if you get an amp you'll lose the dolby headphone / sudo-surroundsound features but they aren't necessary IMO. Maybe I just don't know what I'm missing but I've been playing FPS's for over 10 years and have never used dolby headphone or any of those features and I can tell exactly where every sound is coming from in my games.

Getting a great headphone like the DT880 will not only improve your gaming experience but you might find yourself listening to more music too because they do extremely well with music. The AD700 on the other hand are great for gaming but not very good for music because they have very little bass.

Jan 26, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #11 of 12
You will not lose those features with an amp, if you have a sound card...

Jan 26, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #12 of 12
Ok that makes more sense. Using a different DAC would make you lose those features but amplifying the signal is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back