Need advice for ear buds for the smallest earcanals ever (again)!
Dec 29, 2012 at 9:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

funkywon

New Head-Fier
Hi, everybody,

I am about to buy headphones/earbuds in order to get some better sound quality.
I ordered the Sennheiser px 200 ii to try them out as I understand they have a fairly good value.
But reading through several posts it seems that good IEM ARE capable to deliver better sound
with good isolation and better portability. I was looking at the Klipsch X10 (the price is really good
on amazon right now), but I always had one problem with the in ear buds: they dont fit in my
tiny ear canal.
I just did an experiment and I can tell: a cotton swab is about the biggest size that can fit into my ear.
It fits right into it but I cant imagine sticking anything larger into my ear, it just wouldnt fit.
Looking at pictures of the X10 it seems that even the smallest size would be larger than a cotton swab.
And I tried to look up solutions, it seems that Comply foam would be one. Do you think the smallest
size of those Comply foams would fit me? The thing about those is that I have to pay 20$ and cant even
try them before, so I would like to get some advice from you guys, before I decide to order anything else.
Thank you so much in advance!

Dec 29, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #2 of 10
Well, the nice thing about comply tips is that they are foam. You compress them into a tiny little tube, put them in your ear, and let them expand. I use the small complys, and the small, bi-flange tips that came with my klipsch s4 also fit me. Neither of the single flange tips gave me a good seal. So yes, I think the comply tips are the way to go. Be sure to clean your ears really well, as the foam is not too easy to clean. Also, if you get muffled, bassy sound with the complys, try pushing them down against your finger, then squeezing them into a tube, or try cutting the rim of foam above the plastic tube off. This rim of foam can cover the opening when squeezed into your ear, reducing the treble end and resulting in muffled sound.

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #3 of 10
on a side note: any thoughts on the difference in sound quality between those two models? am I right in the assumption that the Klipsch X10 will give better sound than the Sennheiser? :)

Dec 29, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #4 of 10
I haven't heard either of them, but I love Klipsch IEMs.

Jan 7, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #5 of 10
So I tried out the Klipsch S4 with the small size double flange buds, but they didnt fit at all...no way of pushing them into my small ear canal :frowning2:. needless to say that the medium single flange didnt fit either...so they ll be returned...
i ordered the UE 700, as they seem to come with some XXS sized buds...does anyone know if those xxs are much smaller than the small double flange from Klipsch? (even the first, smaller tip of those didnt fit my ears..)

Jan 7, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #6 of 10
i dont have any hands on experience with the x10s but ive seen them in the store. those things are freakin tiny. i would say go for the x10s and try the smallest tips. if the smallest pair doesnt work then get a pair of complys

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #7 of 10
The Klipsch Image X10, X7, Yamaha EPH100 are very small IEMs in size(smaller than S4) like ADDIEMs and offers better soundquality than S4 with good bass response and overall crisp clear mids, highs.

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #8 of 10
The UE700 - or any other of the TWFK dual BA driver earphones might work for you - they are all diminutive - and sound great. Amazon may still be selling them for as little as $79 -  the other brands are at least $120 or more.

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #9 of 10
I have a review of the Klipsch Image X10s linked in my signature, Im not great at reviewing but it should explain the way they sound. 

As for the size, I couldnt tell you right now because Im not at home, but the smallest single flange that came with my X10s is VERY small. If nothing else you could throw in an extra $15 and buy a few small pairs of the comply foam comfort series tips for the X10s should you decide to try them out.Like someone else mentioned, because they are a foam like material, like that of a $1 pair of hardware store ear-plugs, they an be compressed to something even smaller than a cotton swab and inserted into your ear. Your body heat causes the foam to soften up and expand so they conform to the shape of your ear canal.

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #10 of 10
hi, guys!
Thanks for all your advices! The X10 was kinda hard to get here so I'm trying out the UE700 right now and I have to say I really like the sound...
I think not as punchy bass as the px200-ii has, but the clarity is better..the voices seem to be clearer...much more direct sound.
The XXS tips coming with the UE700 didnt fit my ears.. I also ordered the comply foam small size and they fit quite ok, as far as i can tell.. :)
one thing though...when I put the comply foam over the UE700, I'm not quite sure if they have to go all the way down or not.
Because the UE700 have this small rim. It's possible to go over those rims with the silicon tips as they are flexible.
The comply foam on the other side has a stiff plastic tube in the inside, so it is not flexible. Do I have to press it harder
to get it all the way down? I'm attaching a picture for reference and any advice is much appreciated as always :)

Another thing is that the cable jack seems really fragile...no reinforcement whatsoever...are you guys using some tape to
reinforce that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back