Need advice: CD Player + Amp OR USB-DAC for my PC?
Nov 30, 2008 at 8:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Dublo7

1000+ Head-Fier
So I'm looking to buy a new system, but I'm not sure if I should get myself a nice USB-DAC for my PC, or if I should buy a CD player and an amplifier.

For the USB-DAC, I was thinking of getting the Corda Cantate. I'd be able to plug this into my desktop and play all my FLAC files, and be able to listen to CDs on it anyway.

The other option is to get a Cambridge 640c CD player and an O1:Amp-DAC.

I'll be listening to this new system with my Triple Fi 10 pros.

The CD Player and Amp combo will be a bit more expensive, I just don't know if it will be worth it.

What do you guys think?

Nov 30, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 8
It depends how you do most of your listening. Are your FLAC files ripped from your CDs or are they the only copies that you have of the songs?

Dec 1, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #5 of 8
I considered the Cantate as my first amp / source purchase for just that reason (DAC / Amp). I ended up going with a cheaper amp (Mini3) and separate CD player, because I find myself playing CDs more than using the computer as the source. Downside is that now I feel the urge to upgrade amps.

Since you already have FLAC and don't mind using the computer, I would go the Cantate route. You can start listening to a solid setup right away, and if you choose to buy a separate CD player later, you will already have a good amp to pair it with.

Just my two cents.

tomjtx has some good things to say about the Cantate as an amp and DAC in this thread :

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/cor...oughts-262836/

Dec 1, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #6 of 8
That's a really good point, Clayton (that I will have an amp already, if I choose to buy a CD player later).
I think I'll invest in a Cantate. It's such a sexy little thing, plus from what I read, it sounds great.

Dec 1, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #7 of 8
I would go the cantate route, especially seeing as you already use your computer as a source. Also if you are not tying your headphone setup into a speaker system, it makes more sense!

Dec 1, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #8 of 8
I second, or third or fourth (or wherever we're up to) the computer route. It's far more convenient and is capable of just as good sound. Either way, the music has to come off a CD. At least through a computer, you can organise a good error-corrected rip to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back