Need a suggestion (or three)
Mar 10, 2019 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

100+ Head-Fier
I'd like to pick the collective hive mind for a bit...

I need a new DAP. I am getting more confused than enlightened as I read reviews, so would like some suggestions from folks who have had direct experience. My 'musts' are:
1. Reasonably uncolored reproduction (I know this is a matter of personal tastes, but I want to avoid harsh, boom-y, dull) Something nice and well-rounded.
2, Must handle FLAC files as well as (a very few) MP3 files
3. Expandable storage (1 card slot a must)
4. Must have a line out (I will be running this directly into my STAX 323 as well as taking on the road). I do not have to have a digital or optical output.
5. A workable UI... I read about so many UIs that are wonky in the extreme or simply not usable
6. Touch screen (but will sacrifice this for a solid UI)

My 'luxuries' are:
6. A larger rather than smaller color screen
7. Longer rather than shorter battery life.
8. Ability to charge from something other than a proprietary charger/cable/connection
9 A second card slot

Mar 10, 2019 at 12:22 AM Post #2 of 20
I'd like to pick the collective hive mind for a bit...

I need a new DAP. I am getting more confused than enlightened as I read reviews, so would like some suggestions from folks who have had direct experience. My 'musts' are:
1. Reasonably uncolored reproduction (I know this is a matter of personal tastes, but I want to avoid harsh, boom-y, dull) Something nice and well-rounded.
2, Must handle FLAC files as well as (a very few) MP3 files
3. Expandable storage (1 card slot a must)
4. Must have a line out (I will be running this directly into my STAX 323 as well as taking on the road). I do not have to have a digital or optical output.
5. A workable UI... I read about so many UIs that are wonky in the extreme or simply not usable
6. Touch screen (but will sacrifice this for a solid UI)

My 'luxuries' are:
6. A larger rather than smaller color screen
7. Longer rather than shorter battery life.
8. Ability to charge from something other than a proprietary charger/cable/connection
9 A second card slot
Do you stream?

Mar 10, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #3 of 20
When and if you find something, let us all know...you have a great lists of wants..

Mar 10, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #7 of 20
Budget would be in the $700 range. For walking around, unbalanced (single ended) Sony XBA H1. At home (the bulk of use), the goal is to use the DAP as the source for my Stax 323/Lambda 407 combo

Mar 11, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #9 of 20
A&K KANN would tick all your boxes above :L3000:
Thanks! I'll put that on my short list. One issue seems to be the number of negative comments on Amazon about A&K customer service. Any company and product can have some random problems, but a large number of the comments center on the poor CS given by A&K. Still, as you say, it does tick all the boxes...

Mar 11, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #10 of 20
I just got an iBasso DX150 and after upgrading to Android 8.1 and Lurkers add on it is great. I love the ability to change the amp modules on as well. The DX200 is alos a nice option and has a different DAC section. Maybe read up on the sound signatures of the two using the same amp section and see if they fit your sound signature. Obviously that will only matter when you are using it on the go with it's built in amp and not at home with the line out.

Mar 11, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #11 of 20
Thanks! I'll put that on my short list. One issue seems to be the number of negative comments on Amazon about A&K customer service. Any company and product can have some random problems, but a large number of the comments center on the poor CS given by A&K. Still, as you say, it does tick all the boxes...

Aparrently A&K are on head-fi and provide great customer sevice through here. I've never owned an A&K so not speaking from experience. The only reason i've not owned one is I use EQ alot and A&K EQs only allow small adjustments.

Ibasso has great customer service on head-fi also (from experience)

Mar 11, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #12 of 20
Aparrently A&K are on head-fi and provide great customer sevice through here. I've never owned an A&K so not speaking from experience. The only reason i've not owned one is I use EQ alot and A&K EQs only allow small adjustments.

Ibasso has great customer service on head-fi also (from experience)

Good to know. I DO take the negative reviews on sites like Amazon with a large grain of salt but I was a bit surprised at the number of CS problems that were expressed. Someone with an axe to grind is more likely to write in, so that skews things, I know.

Mar 12, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #15 of 20
I just got an iBasso DX150 and after upgrading to Android 8.1 and Lurkers add on it is great. I love the ability to change the amp modules on as well. The DX200 is alos a nice option and has a different DAC section. Maybe read up on the sound signatures of the two using the same amp section and see if they fit your sound signature. Obviously that will only matter when you are using it on the go with it's built in amp and not at home with the line out.
Thanks! the iBasso DX150 is now high on my list. I am reading reviews and it seems that several people like the sound signature of the 150 better than the 200, and also note that the UI seems more responsive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back