Need a sub for my IE8
Mar 19, 2011 at 12:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Novella

New Head-Fier
Ok so after about a year of pretty heavy use of my IE8's they pretty much look like they've been in a war. One of the stems popped out and needed to be gorilla glued back in place and then the coat on the wire is separating from one ear piece and you can see bare wire. Maybe it's just my set but for the money I'm shocked how cheap they seem to be built. While I love the sound , I'm looking to replace them with something that sounds as good or almost as good and much cheaper. I listen to mostly reggae and am a pretty big bass head. Any suggestions are welcome.

Mar 19, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 6
Really? It IE8 so cheep built? I had a pair of IE8 but traded it for a HD600, which is supposed to have a better sound quality. However, I find that HD600 is so heavy and hot to wear. I'm thinking about trade for another IE8. But your post scared me. Is it because you didn't carefully use the IE8?

Mar 21, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #3 of 6
Like I said, I'm not sure if it is just mine. I have seen post here about people talking about the stem detaching when replacing the tips. I use complys which need to be carefully put on and taken off as they don't exactly fit as the package says they do.
With a new cable they would be just like new. I went out and blindly (with the help of head-fi) bought myself a set of Monster Miles Davis Tributes and must say that I think I prefer them to the ie8's.

Mar 21, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #4 of 6
I've removed tips so many times on those headphones, and not once has it ever felt like it was about to break. I'm currently using reversed T400 comply tips and they slide in without much fuss. granted, I always slide them in while twisting them(like a screw driver); this helps the tips fit straight in, and evenly disperses pressure around the nozzle. perhaps thats what makes them snap?

Mar 21, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 6
I apply them the same way you described. I'm not sure why one time changing them the plastic ring just stuck to the stem real good and just popped the stem out. It actually looked as if they are glued together to begin with and the extra force just separated it. Like I said a little bit of gorilla glue and it never happened again and can barely tell. Its never happened to the left earpiece either. So I seriously think its just my set. 

Mar 22, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #6 of 6
Well, aside from the small problems you listed, do you still plan on keeping them? You can get the cables from sennheiser for like 20 bucks, and it may be worth a shot asking them about the nozzle issue; maybe they'll take pity and replace the set for cheap(if its out of warranty).
In my humble opinion, as long as they still sound great, I'd continue to replace parts that are cheap and easily fixable. From my experience, and what I read: their cables are very well made and should last you several years with proper care(perhaps you have a bum pair). I dont think you'll find a better pair of headphones for the cost of a new wire.

otherwise, if you're loosing faith and want to let them go real cheap, I may be interested in acquiring them
wink.gif

edit: wups, didnt read you already replaced them with MD's. Glad you like them! The warranty is sweet, and will pretty much ensure you will not have to buy another pair of headphones for the rest of your life; that is, unless you continue to hang around here
duggehsmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back