Need a sub $80 mp3 player that has better SQ than the Cowon s9
Nov 10, 2009 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Agent_Moler

100+ Head-Fier
hi,
After doing some SQ comparisons between my iphone and my cowon, I feel that it is no longer really necessary for me to have the S9, especially since I do the majority of my listening on my iphone now. I'm interested in having another mp3 however for those instances where I might be at the gym or going abroad somewhere.

I'm looking for a sub $80 mp3 player with a headphone out that is comparable or better than the S9, I would also be interested in something with a line out capability. Thanks for reading.

Nov 10, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #2 of 33
Although I have not heard a Cowon S9, I would reccomend trying a Sandisk Clip+. $40-$50 for a 4GB (I think the 8GB is around $70), and it has a Micro SD card slot (I got a 16GB for about $50). The sound quality from the headphone out (I don't think there's any line-out stuff for it yet) is amazing (much better than my iPod Photo and 120GB Zune), but it doesn't improve much at all with my cmoy amp (the Zune and iPod did). Not necessarily a bad thing, but now it really makes me want to buy a new amp
biggrin.gif
. I bought it even though I really didn't need it, and it became my primary DAP. I use it with RE0's (sometimes with BSG cmoy and my DIY interconnect) and OGG Vorbis q-0.8 (it's a VBR that's ~256k) if that gives you any more useful info.

Nov 10, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #3 of 33
I don't think you'll find any absolute "better", especially since you're going for a much less expensive player. Your best bet would be to get the Sandisk Sansa Clip+ or Fuze, or possibly a Sony player if you can find a decent price on it.

Nov 10, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 33
I am using Clip+ and it is good, small size with shirt clip, support ogg and FLAC. very easy to use, good sound. and no hissing or noise compare to low end Sony.
I have a cmoy and ibasso t3. Clip+ sound pretty good and similar to what a 2227 cmoy will give you. that is probably why cmoy don't make much change but T3 make treble and bass stronger.

Nov 10, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #5 of 33
Yea, your not gonna find anything with better SQ then the S9, but the Clip+ comes close.

Nov 10, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 33
It seems you don't care much about SQ (listening ti the iPhone) so I would also suggest the Clip+. If you want something better get a cheap (non-E series) Sony. They tend to give those away cheap with 4GB only ($70-80 at Walmart)

Nov 10, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Mono /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems you don't care much about SQ (listening ti the iPhone) so I would also suggest the Clip+. If you want something better get a cheap (non-E series) Sony. They tend to give those away cheap with 4GB only ($70-80 at Walmart)

What's wrong with the iPhone's SQ? The 3GS' sound quality is quite excellent!

Nov 10, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #8 of 33
There is nothing wrong with the 3GS sound, but if you are happy listening to it, why get another player ? Better yet, get the 3G Touch and email people while talking to them on your iPhone.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 10, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #9 of 33
I do not have iPhone of any version hence I do not know how good they sound. I have friends who own iPhone 3G or 3GS they just not capable of playing music all day long. the battery life of iPhone as music play is far worst than Clip+ which is approximately 8 hour on mid-low volume and my Nokia 5800 last twice as long while maintain normal phone functions. also iPhone is expansive equipment that will cost a lot if damage or stolen. these day most American know nothing but iShxt which make it primary target when we are safer walking with even more expansive rig :p

Nov 10, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hsiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not have iPhone of any version hence I do not know how good they sound. I have friends who own iPhone 3G or 3GS they just not capable of playing music all day long. the battery life of iPhone as music play is far worst than Clip+ which is approximately 8 hour on mid-low volume and my Nokia 5800 last twice as long while maintain normal phone functions. also iPhone is expansive equipment that will cost a lot if damage or stolen. these day most American know nothing but iShxt which make it primary target when we are safer walking with even more expansive rig :p

LOL exactly.

you can try the cowon iaudio 7 which is pretty compact as i've seen.
not too sure about sq but it should come close to s9(need someone to verify that).

Nov 10, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #11 of 33
The iphone has really great SQ, I personally did a review of the iphone 3gs with a LOD vs the S9. The S9 did not hold up very well at all. I dont see the need to keep the S9 since the iphone sounds so good, I just want a backup player that has good SQ or has a LOD function for a good price. In retrospect, I feel that the S9 is overpriced...

The clip plus is sounding like a strong contender, I'm wondering if anyone has tried the Fuze with a LOD though. How is the SQ on that compared to the clip plus?

Nov 11, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #12 of 33
Yep, since the Clip has the same audio components as the Fuze, that's what I recommend. I quite like my Fuze, so at least head to Best Buy and demo the Clip. Bring in your IEMs and check it out
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #13 of 33
Ling
biggrin.gif
o you know if it has the same components as the clip plus? Do you have a LOD for your fuze? How much do they generally run?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back