Need a replacement for my SA6's. Not custom, choice between SM3 V2, Westone 4R and UM3X RC
Oct 1, 2012 at 10:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

MrButchi

100+ Head-Fier
So here it is all in the title : I used to own SA6's, and they are rightfully dead.

I got them when my SHURE SE530's died, and they litterally changed my life. But I have to move on.

I need a removable cable I use my in-ears on the way to work mainly, and I'm not always the sweetest owner. So they need to endure a little pain.

I love the mids and highs to be very precise, which is something I loved in my SA6's: they made me discover things I had never heard in my songs. Then again, I don't hate basses.

I listen to a lot of rock and punk rock (from Pearl Jam to No Use For A Name to make it short), some chill (Morcheeba, Portishead) and some cheezy jazz (Jamie Cullum...).

So here I am, hesitating between the UM3X, Westone 4R, and SM3 V2.

One last detail : I use my iPhone5 with EQu (which also changed my musical life) to listen to the music. I know the iPhone 5 is probably not on par, but it's non negotiable for me, and the SA6's were a vast improvement over the SE530's, so I hope I can get the same results here.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Oct 1, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #2 of 3
I have all three of these very different iems (except the old SM3).  They are all awesome.  The um3x is probably the best built of the 3.  It has a smaller sound stage than the others but excellent clarity and imaging.  Bass is powerful & seems slightly boosted in the mid range.  The W4 is a good all-rounder and does little wrong.  It is probably the safest choice but seems to spend its days on the shelf.  The SM3 is my favorite but is not for everyone.  It has a dry, delicate presentation with good sound stage, timber and a slight growl to the bass.  Just a warning: Some people really dislike this iem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back