Need a recommendation-IEM with a signature close to Ultrasone HFI 780
Oct 2, 2011 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

clou91

100+ Head-Fier
I haven't been around for a while, but I've misplaced my IE6s (which I didn't like that much anyway) and I'm looking for a good IEM with a sound signature closer to Ultrasone, specifically the HFI 780s. I've had Ultrasone Pro 900s before but they felt too warm and didn't seem as quick as the HFI 780s.

The things I didn't like about the IE6: slow, dark, and laid back 

The things I did like: decent sound quality unamped, good bass for an IEM

What I'd like from an IEM: brighter sounding, quicker pace, more forward sounding, good bass extension and punch. I absolutely DO NOT want an IEM with an anemic bass. That said, I also don't want the bass to be overbearing either. Recently I've been listening almost exclusively to rap (Kanye, Jay Z, J.Cole, Lil' Wayne, etc), but I also mix some R&B in too. 

Keep in mind that I'm strictly going to use these IEMs unamped from an iphone 4 so I probably don't need anything too high end either.

Also, I'd prefer not to order a Chinese IEM as I'd like to have these ASAP and it took forever to get my S:Flo 2. I also do not want to have to hook these over my ear, they have to be able to go straight in. So I guess the EX600 and GR07 are ruled out. 

Price range is flexible, but again, these will be unamped from an iPhone 4. I know I'll never use these with my DAC/AMP at home.

TIY for the suggestions

Clou

Oct 17, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 2
Check out the B&W C5.  I'm a devotee of the Ultrasone 780; my current "I do want to hear the oncoming car" headphones are the Ultrasone 15G, which I find to be just as musical and listenable for long time periods, although I wish they folded...

I've had Etymotics for years, going back to when they only made one version of the ER-4, and needed a headphone amp to sound right... I have ER-4P, ER-4S, ER-6, ER-5.  Loved them, until I got my Ultrasone 780s a year ago, and have been grumpy about the Etys since, wanting something a lot livelier and less "in my head" sounding.

Got a set of C5s this weekend, and have listened to them for about four hours since.  They're a lot less in-my-head sounding than the Etys, and a lot more musical - not sure how to really describe that characteristic, but they are to the Etymotics like Ultrasone 780s are to my old Sennheisers.  Much more speaker-ish.  Much less dull - the Etys can be kind of dry.

The fit is a tiny bit fiddly, with the loops that you push up into your ear curl, but given how much of them hang out of your head, it's probably needed.  I will say that it makes them a lot more comfortable - I tried them without the loops tucked up in my ear fold, and they felt less secure than my Etys.

They're definitely not sleeping phones, though.  The sound seal on Etys is excellent, and when I get the occasional noisy hotel room, it's a blessing to have them to slip in for sleep.  The B&W stick out too far for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back