need a portable to take to Iraq
Feb 25, 2006 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

velvetsteele

New Head-Fier
I am needing a recommendation for MP3 player to take with me. It needs to be good quality construction and prefer to avoid Itunes Ipod as I want few/no restrictions on player hardware and supported codec. I am looking at the Iriver U-10 (1GB) and Zen Vision M. I know that it is small in memory capacity but am really impressed with the I-River U-10- love the clean interface, looks and touchscreen controls.
I like the capacity and video capabilities of Vision M but not sure I like the controls as well as U-10. Anyone with experience with these players and recommendation would be appreciated! Other recommendations are welcome also. I am thinking of pairing this with a set of Shure E5 canalphones (not planning on an amp unless absolutely needed).
I will be in uncertain conditions out there so need ruggedness and reliability as well.
Thanks....anyone?

Feb 25, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 16
my advice would be to get something that can record so you dont need a laptop or internet connection for new tunes. Also, my mate has a small, hard case designed for climbers with one of those *huge* clip things they use for ropes and stuff, she puts her MP3 player in it and chucks it about, no scratches
smily_headphones1.gif
. Maybe that would be helpful?

Feb 25, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #3 of 16
Thanks Embio, great ideas.
Both of these models have FM and recording capability so that would be covered. I hope to have a laptop connection for downloading music and if not might need to consider a high capacity player (or just use laptop with music on hardrive) to store large number of music files.

Feb 26, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #4 of 16
Have you considered the standard Zen Vision, it's not that much bigger than the Vision M, but it has longer battery life, an user replaceable battery, an optional extended battery, a bigger, brighter screen, and not to mention it's very tough, mine slid halfway down the bus on the floor and barely had any scratches on the battery.

Feb 26, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #5 of 16
I'll try and find out where she got that case if you like.

Feb 26, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckshot
How about this?

that's hilarious.

Mar 1, 2006 at 7:29 AM Post #12 of 16
Wolfen68, I agree and have looked at the new Sandisk Sensa M260 Flash 4GB player. I am not sure about the sound quality but that is the largest flash player I have seen and runs 19 hrs on AAA battery!
The construction is cheap plastic though ): and I have heard it has a flimsy battery latch cover. I may have to check it out as Rhapsody is offering $80 rebate on 6 mo subscription.
Keep the ideas coming!!

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by velvetsteele
Wolfen,
I need to get something this week if possible but could possibly wait up to two weeks. Do you have any suggestions for that time frame?

I thought about this and it's a tough call. I personally would want an iRiver or iAudio that operates with UMS functionality (I have had good luck with both). I like having all of my songs with me...but in tough conditions a hard drive player is very risky.

Kind of a crazy idea, but I think I personally would buy two 1-2 gig flash players of the same model. You can spread your music across both of their capacities..and have a functional spare to boot. This would not be a cheap option...probably costing around $400.

Another option I would consider is to get a 20 gig X5...put your music on it and baby it. With the X5, also bring some basic (cheap) 1 gig flash player that runs on AA's or AAA's as your portable device for the rough stuff.

The neat thing is that I believe you could use the X5 as a USB host device to trade songs out on the flash player periodically. This option would cost about $400 also. You still have long term redundancy with this arrangement because if either dies, you have a spare. The downside is two different models means more adapters and cables to bring with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back