need a portable to take to Iraq
Feb 25, 2006 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

velvetsteele

New Head-Fier
I am needing a recommendation for MP3 player to take with me. It needs to be good quality construction and prefer to avoid Itunes Ipod as I want few/no restrictions on player hardware and supported codec. I am looking at the Iriver U-10 (1GB) and Zen Vision M. I know that it is small in memory capacity but am really impressed with the I-River U-10- love the clean interface, looks and touchscreen controls.
I like the capacity and video capabilities of Vision M but not sure I like the controls as well as U-10. Anyone with experience with these players and recommendation would be appreciated! Other recommendations are welcome also. I am thinking of pairing this with a set of Shure E5 canalphones (not planning on an amp unless absolutely needed).
I will be in uncertain conditions out there so need ruggedness and reliability as well.
Thanks....anyone?

Feb 25, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 16

Embio

100+ Head-Fier
my advice would be to get something that can record so you dont need a laptop or internet connection for new tunes. Also, my mate has a small, hard case designed for climbers with one of those *huge* clip things they use for ropes and stuff, she puts her MP3 player in it and chucks it about, no scratches
smily_headphones1.gif
. Maybe that would be helpful?

Feb 25, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #3 of 16

velvetsteele

New Head-Fier
Thanks Embio, great ideas.
Both of these models have FM and recording capability so that would be covered. I hope to have a laptop connection for downloading music and if not might need to consider a high capacity player (or just use laptop with music on hardrive) to store large number of music files.

Feb 26, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #4 of 16

skyline889

Headphoneus Supremus
Have you considered the standard Zen Vision, it's not that much bigger than the Vision M, but it has longer battery life, an user replaceable battery, an optional extended battery, a bigger, brighter screen, and not to mention it's very tough, mine slid halfway down the bus on the floor and barely had any scratches on the battery.

Feb 26, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #8 of 16

Ingo

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckshot
How about this?

that's hilarious.

Mar 1, 2006 at 7:29 AM Post #12 of 16

velvetsteele

New Head-Fier
Wolfen68, I agree and have looked at the new Sandisk Sensa M260 Flash 4GB player. I am not sure about the sound quality but that is the largest flash player I have seen and runs 19 hrs on AAA battery!
The construction is cheap plastic though ): and I have heard it has a flimsy battery latch cover. I may have to check it out as Rhapsody is offering $80 rebate on 6 mo subscription.
Keep the ideas coming!!

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #15 of 16

wolfen68

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by velvetsteele
Wolfen,
I need to get something this week if possible but could possibly wait up to two weeks. Do you have any suggestions for that time frame?

I thought about this and it's a tough call. I personally would want an iRiver or iAudio that operates with UMS functionality (I have had good luck with both). I like having all of my songs with me...but in tough conditions a hard drive player is very risky.

Kind of a crazy idea, but I think I personally would buy two 1-2 gig flash players of the same model. You can spread your music across both of their capacities..and have a functional spare to boot. This would not be a cheap option...probably costing around $400.

Another option I would consider is to get a 20 gig X5...put your music on it and baby it. With the X5, also bring some basic (cheap) 1 gig flash player that runs on AA's or AAA's as your portable device for the rough stuff.

The neat thing is that I believe you could use the X5 as a USB host device to trade songs out on the flash player periodically. This option would cost about $400 also. You still have long term redundancy with this arrangement because if either dies, you have a spare. The downside is two different models means more adapters and cables to bring with.

Users who are viewing this thread