Need a nice, inexpensive amp
Nov 23, 2002 at 2:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

OriginalReaper

500+ Head-Fier
I use a SlimX imp-350 and Grado 225s. I dont have an amp. It doesnt have to blow out my eardrums (as I know the 225s can). Just a nicely balanced amp, maybe one with an equalizer.

Of course, if my source sucks (I wouldn't know, I'm no audiophile) I could just get a used receiver or CD player for like $100 or something.

thanx

-the new n00b

Nov 23, 2002 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 10
Welcome to Head-Fi, OriginalReaper.
If you want an inexpensive, yet excellent, amp for your Grados, I would recommend contacting JMT (a moderator of the DIY forum) and see what he can do for you. In particular, you might want to look at the CHA47 amp, a design that was done with Grados in mind, and is also very reasonable in price. I have a number of these and, to my ears, they sound great with Grados. Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2002 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 10
I really have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Can I get a link?

Nov 23, 2002 at 9:15 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by OriginalReaper
I really have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Can I get a link?

No problem.
JMT is a person who builds amps because he's addicted to it.
CHA47 is a type of headphone amp, that was designed primarily for use with Grados. META42 is another amp design. It is generally regarded as being a more powerful, richer sounding amp than the CHA47, although it really depends on your own, personal sonic preferences.
You can contact JMT by clicking on his name (he's a moderator of both the DIY and Members' Lounge forums). Then click on "Send JMT a Private Message" or "Send JMT an E-Mail". I prefer Private Messenging, but you have to make sure that Private Messaging is turned ON in your profile.
All of this may sound complicated, but if I can get the hang of it, anybody can.
biggrin.gif

Also, you may want to a do a search for CHA47 and META42........you'll have a lot of reading in front of you. But at least you'll have a better idea what all this stuff is about.
Hope this helps, and good luck.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2002 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 10
Yet another recommendation to strongly consider what joelongwood wrote. The CHA47 amp + Grado's work wonderfully!

The amps mentioned (CHA47 and META42) are not commercially available amps. They are made by folks who frequent this site. There's not a lot of information available aside from what's listed at this site.

Suggestion: do a search at this site for CHA47 and peruse http://www.headwize.com/ for information on the amp design.

JMT is one of the assemblers of these two different amp designs. If you'd like information about these amps, send him a PM (personal message) by going to the Members section and doing a search on "JMT". Once you find the appropriate page, there's an option to send a personal message.

Good luck!
Bruce

Nov 23, 2002 at 9:23 PM Post #8 of 10
The Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 is a good little amp and has the added advantage of being highly tweakable.....

At the end of the day though "use your ears" If it sounds good then it is good for you.

Pinkie

Nov 23, 2002 at 11:38 PM Post #10 of 10
I know the Grado SR-60's with a JMT CHA47 sounds great. This is probably the best bang for the buck combo in headphones.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back