Need a new iron, considering a low-end Weller.
Mar 27, 2006 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

joostoo

100+ Head-Fier
Helllo,

my first soldering iron (from radioshack) has finally broken down after 4 months of use. As per tangents videos (which btw, are fantastic), im going to try getting an iron from another place. My local Canadian Tire has a low end Weller iron:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...=1143485745043

Its 25W, and seems pretty good. according to Wellers site it should be the SP23LK model. Its come with 3 tips ( i think ), but canadian tire doesnt sell tips for it, ill look for those someplace else.

So whats your guys's take on it? Should I get it, or is there another one (preferably on that page) that you'd recommend?

BTW, please dont recommend a complete soldering station, i still dont feel the need for one yet :p

Mar 27, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #2 of 9
Ive had good results from those orange Weller pencil irons. Get a good stand, one that rests the iron so thet tip is facing down at an angle. I think I had one iron that failed because my cheepy DIY iron stand pointed the tip slightly upwards, and a little water crept up into the iron.

Garrett

Mar 27, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #3 of 9
I bought that same iron a week ago at B&E Electronics, but it was $14, not $30. It didn't come with those other things (whatever they are, looks like a tiny roll of solder and something else) but the iron is the same. It's been working fine so far.

Mar 27, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 9
I have the SP23L and the radioshack 15 watt iron. I like the Weller because it gets hot very quickly, but the plastic grip itself sometimes becomes really hot so I have to let it cool, I prefer the radioshack one for small electronics but I use the weller for my guitars and when I'm impatient.

Mar 28, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #6 of 9
Instead of the new ones, take a look at used ones on eBay and other places. Sometimes junk stores and pawn shops have them at great prices. I picked up a working WTCPT for $12 once, and have seen other good deals around.

I'd recommend both Hakko and Weller. I've owned both brands and thought them excellent. Also, parts for older units are generally available and reasonable.

Try to find one that has adjustable temperature and is ESD-safe. Those features are important.

Mar 28, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #7 of 9
Get a BP645 if you're doing any SMD work. I find it easy to solder SOIC with that iron. (Also get a scalpel to cut solder bridges that invariably form from time to time.) A larger iron will also be necessary for large connections, however.

Mar 28, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by joostoo
Thnx for the replys!

Kramer, do you mean a stand like this:
http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/Pr...roduct=6402078
?

The reason this is 30 bux instead of 14 is because it does come with other things, not just the iron itself.

Im not too worried about the handle getting hot, i can always have a small cover or something over it.

Yeah thats the one. Yo udont want water to drip up into the unit.

Mar 28, 2006 at 12:42 PM Post #9 of 9
I have a little tiny blue pencil weller that I absolutely love, I think its the 15w version, really tiny, good for tight work...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back