need a new headset
May 28, 2015 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ghendi

New Head-Fier
hello forum,

i recently made a post regarding a recommendation for the akg k712 pro i had purchased. i previously had the sennheiser pc350 for gaming and the ultrasone hfi-780 (as well as the sennheiser ie80 iem's) for music and media. i am waiting on the magni 2 to come in tomorrow to power the k712s correctly, but was wondering if there may be different cans you may recommend.

i love a decisive and strong low deep bass that is well controlled and detailed. i am not a bass head, but i am definitely looking for something that has more bass than many of the high-end cans with beautiful mids and highs. if needed, i would prefer them to lean more towards the 'warmer' spectrum than the 'cooler' spectrum. they need to be comfortable for extended listening periods, with very detailed mids and good highs. an extremely large and detailed soundstage that allows for clear imaging of the 'surroundings'. for music, i currently listen using a fiio combo of the x5 player and the e12 amp.

what i am looking to do is to replace my pc350 with headphones from your recommendations, unless the akg k712's will perform admirably. so they will be used for team-based fps gaming, as well as for music and media both at home or when traveling. that type of gaming means there may be people talking while game sounds are occurring across the whole low, mid, and high spectrums; so a headphone that won't get muddy with so much input. i don't believe they need to be closed-back since i could use the ie80's when i need to eliminate outside noise while listening. and if a recommendation regarding cans is what will be posted, would you be able to recommend a dac that can replace my xonar soundcard. i would like the ability to have some type of equalizer control, since i use different settings for different applications. (i'll be using the modmic for voice input).

edit: i forgot to add!!! i'd rather not spend more than 800 for the headphones... unless you believe it fits what i need perfectly, sub-800 is a preference i'd like to try at least to stick to. thanks!

thank you very much!!!

-ghendi

May 28, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #3 of 10
  The headphones I've owned on the warmer side are the Sennheiser HD650's and the Shure SRH1540's. I slight nod to the SRH1540's in the highs department. Both have very substantial bass though.

on amazon both the 1840's and the 1540's cost the same, but one is closed and one is open. are the 1840's of higher sound quality, or for what i'm looking for the 1540's fit the bill?

May 28, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #8 of 10
I am curious as to why you would spend so much on a headset or more new cans, for that money you could buy beyer DT770, an audio interface and a good quality mic.  I have no experience with the AKG phones you own but driven properly they should give you everything you need without the need to spend another dolar.  According to their literature the impedance of the AKG is a lowly 62Ohm and should be driven fine already.

The problem I see is you want to be able to use on the move, I dont really think carrying a HP amp everywhere is very practical.  You say you use a xonar soundcard atm, and I cannot see how this is not driving your cans sufficiently.

This post stinks of "upgrade syndrome" and not that you actually need anything you dont already own, it may sound harsh but I am thinking of your wallet.

I know this is not offering much advice, but simply put I am curious as to your expectations.  I game all the time with VOIP and have zero issues using my normal studio cans (DT770) and find them perfectly good for talking, playback and mixing/mastering. 

In my experience you will struggle to find what you are looking for in a headset unless you go for something like http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/gaming/mmx-300-manufaktur.html (EDIT: which is pretty much a DT770 with a boom mic)

May 28, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #9 of 10
   According to their literature the impedance of the AKG is a lowly 62Ohm and should be driven fine already.

Even though the K7xx series has a low impedance, they are notoriously difficult to drive. Impedance does not tell the whole story, as AKG k7xx series is not efficient, even though the impedance is low. Another trait of the K7xx series is that they are quite analytical, without a whole lot of bass. The OP is looking for something a little bassier and on the warmer side, which would explain why his AKG's are leaving something to be desired.

Also, the Antlion modmic is a very good headset adaptable microphone that can be used with any headphones!

May 28, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #10 of 10
  Even though the K7xx series has a low impedance, they are notoriously difficult to drive. Impedance does not tell the whole story, as AKG k7xx series is not efficient, even though the impedance is low. Another trait of the K7xx series is that they are quite analytical, without a whole lot of bass. The OP is looking for something a little bassier and on the warmer side, which would explain why his AKG's are leaving something to be desired.

Also, the Antlion modmic is a very good headset adaptable microphone that can be used with any headphones!

that is exactly the case. the magni 2 came in today and completely opened up the soundstage and created a more detailed picture of sound. i find myself wanting to add more juice to the lows since it doesn't seem like there is much provided by default on the k712s. my question is whether a dac has some kind of eq setting where i can adjust, if needed, when i feel like a certain application demands for it.

@Tablix yes, i want to upgrade, i didn't hide that fact. i've been using the pc350 for a long time and enjoyed it, but definitely had a wanting feeling of better sound quality, especially with music. that's why i purchaed the k712s. they actually do require quite good amping since they are not easy to drive at all.

i've been reading a lot about the shure 1540s and i think i'll order it tonight and try them out. that's what i like about amazon prime, quick and easy to buy and return, if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back