Need a mic for gaming
Apr 30, 2015 at 10:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

loki993

500+ Head-Fier
Ive tried to go the cheap route up to this point but its no longer working. I had a 4 dollar clip on mic and I've been trying a 7 dollar Audio technica clip mic mic, which I thought should have been better, but its not. People cant hear me, they say I could far away etc etc. So I need a mic and voice clarity is the most important thing. 

I suppose the obvious choice is the modmic and I think it may be a good bet. I don't mind spending the money but if there is something I cam pay 20 or 30 for as opposed to 50 and get the job done I'm all ears. I know some recco the zalman zm mic1 but I've heard mixed reviews on that and I find it hard to believe that for 2 bucks more its going to be any better than what I'm using now. 

Ive been looking at this and it may be a good bet:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATR3350IS-Lavalier-Microphone-Smartphones/dp/B00HZA6EJO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1430401416&sr=8-9&keywords=lapel+mic

Anything else or is the modmic really that good?

Apr 30, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 14
The Samson Meteor mic has decent quality (better than the mic you linked) and is directional. The nice thing is that it's small enough to fit under your monitor without blocking your view and point straight at the direction you are speaking in. And it's cheap :)

I use a fancy Shure because I'm a professional streamer/youtuber but in a pinch I'd be fine using the Samson.

May 1, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #9 of 14
I've been using a CAD U37 for gaming and it works great. 

I picked mine up for $36 about 2 years ago and prices have creeped up a bit since then but I think it's right in the same performance levels of the Blue/Audiotechnica USB offerings for half the price.

May 7, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #10 of 14
The Samson Meteor mic has decent quality (better than the mic you linked) and is directional. The nice thing is that it's small enough to fit under your monitor without blocking your view and point straight at the direction you are speaking in. And it's cheap :)

I use a fancy Shure because I'm a professional streamer/youtuber but in a pinch I'd be fine using the Samson.

I guess the meteor is pretty small huh and if I wanted even smaller I could go with the metorite....which may be a bit better for my purposes....for whatever reason when I first looked at the meteor it seemed a lot bigger lol.

May 8, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #11 of 14
I use Astro Gaming A50 for when I need to use voicecoms, on games HiFi isn't really a factor.

It may be a but more than you wanted to spend but I love it.

May 8, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #13 of 14
I use Astro Gaming A50 for when I need to use voicecoms, on games HiFi isn't really a factor.

It may be a but more than you wanted to spend but I love it.

Yeah not interested in a headset and hifi does matter in gaming for positional audio and immersion, only somewhat on the latter. Plus Im so used to good sound if I were to go to an inferior set of phones for gaming it would bother me.

May 9, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #14 of 14
Yeah not interested in a headset and hifi does matter in gaming for positional audio and immersion, only somewhat on the latter. Plus Im so used to good sound if I were to go to an inferior set of phones for gaming it would bother me.

I'll respect that your not interested in a headset and give you this advice - if you're really interested in a decent clip on mic most of Shure's stuff is really good though not cheap.  If your willing to deal with something on your desk Razer makes a decent desktop mic that is fairly cheap its not great by any stretch but it will get you by a lot better than one of the cheap "Sound Blaster desktop Mics" haha.

Here is some extra info for however...

Sound files that most games play back are just OGG or MP3 files that are highly compressed that have little dynamic range pretty much the antitheses of HiFi. The positional part comes from proper mixing and post processing in the game engine not the headphone.  Have you tried Fong Audio's Out of your Head software(Link below)?  It allows you to run highly intensive post processing on your audio stream however at the cost of latency so you couldn't pipe games through it if you want your video and audio to sync.  You'll hear the software making the sound seem like its coming from any number of positions around you rather in "inside your head".  This works with any reasonable headphones - I've used it with my ER4s, HD580, HD650, A50, and for kicks I'll try it with my HE-1000 once USPS gets here.

https://fongaudio.com/out-of-your-head-software/

There is good sound and then there is HiFi, A50s are NOT HiFi they will not touch the likes of LCD-2/3 or HE6/1000 but they will easily play back the highly compressed audio samples that ships with games.  That being said I would never ever use the A50 for music unless its like some crappy youtube clip that somebody sent me - I probably wont make the effort to switch for that :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back