Need a great full size amp
Dec 11, 2009 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

hockeyb213

BANNED: BAD TRADER
Long story made short I have edition 8's coming in tomrrow and hd800's and ps-1000's coming in next week. I want a amp that can drive them all to their potential. SPL was really catching my attention especially with the phonitor which is on sale now for 1800. I am really looking to try and stay around the 1500 range new or used. Any suggestions will be taken in with great appreciation
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #2 of 12
I'd take a look at Donald North's Sonett. It's wonderful with the HD-800, though I haven't tried it with the other headphones you're buying. The 6H30 is an amazing tube and the Edcor otput transformers sound really good. I'm seriously tempted to buy one, but I've got too many amps already. I think the Sonett is a bargain, considering the build quality and excellent sound.

You migh also be able to hunt down a Beta22 in that price range. It is an exceptionally capable and wonderful sounding amp.

Also, if you're willing to stretch a little, a Zana Deux is absolutely worth having.
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 11, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #4 of 12
Damn. That is quite a spending spree. The headroom amps never seem to get any attention, and I am not sure why. The first time I saw one was at the 3rd meet that I got to.

I would second the beta. It was one of the best amps I've heard and it will drive the crap out of whatever can you throw at it. I am in the process of building one right now. I am not sure how much it would be to commission one, though. I would think that you wouldn't be up for waiting on a used one considering your deluge of recent purchases...

Dec 11, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #6 of 12
Let me specify further I bought the ed8's so those I technically own...the hd800's and ps1000's are on loan to me indefinitely while I compare them and do a review. What I will do after my review is keep the one I like most and let the other 2 go unless I have 2 phones that I just can't let go :p

Dec 11, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me specify further I bought the ed8's so those I technically own...the hd800's and ps1000's are on loan to me indefinitely while I compare them and do a review. What I will do after my review is keep the one I like most and let the other 2 go unless I have 2 phones that I just can't let go :p

HD800's on loan.........errrr not for me, I doubt I could part with them after, I am already looking at them which makes no sense, since I've really over done it with iem's and love the comfort. Look forward to your thoughts, and good luck parting with 2 sets after you're done!

Dec 11, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear the hd800's are really similar to my jh-13's which may make me decide against them if I decide I want a different soung sig out of my full sizer.

If that's the case, you're right, that would help if they are similar sound sigs.
I look forward even more to that comparison, in as far as how similar they sound to you.

Dec 11, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #11 of 12
I know I saw it and my heart dropped. The only things that put me against it is the fact it is in singapore and it would take a while to get in the states via that awful singapore shipping service :p. But I am still working on it

Dec 11, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #12 of 12
The woo6se that I've heard sounded very nice and is very within your price bracket.
Leaves some monies for different tubes ect.
Admitted I only heard it with the hd600...
I believe covenant (the owner or said woo) had a listen with John's hd800's.

You might be able to commission a M3 too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back