Need a good table top radio.
Oct 22, 2002 at 3:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
Hi, I want to buy a table top radio for my mom. It must have good AM reception and look cute (my mom mainly cares about aestetics and reception)

Oct 22, 2002 at 5:48 AM Post #2 of 10
Try the Tivoli Audio Model One or the Model Two if you want stereo. Highly recommended on these boards and in other places (including Stereophile).

Oct 22, 2002 at 6:56 AM Post #3 of 10
I've been shouting about how great the Tivoli radios are for ages
wink.gif
However, our Model One and Model Two have FM reception that is unmatched, but the AM reception isn't great. OurTivoli PAL is MUCH better for AM.

Oct 22, 2002 at 7:18 AM Post #4 of 10
the sound out of the Sony table top radio is fantastic as it contains a 6" - 8"speaker; fake wood (i think), about $40 at Fry's.

Oct 22, 2002 at 7:30 PM Post #5 of 10
I'd go for the tivoli. I heard one, and I love it. I need to convince the powers that be( my parents) that they should let me spend my money on one.

Oct 22, 2002 at 8:47 PM Post #6 of 10
Yeah, go for the Tivoli. I got a set of Model Two for my mom and she loves them. Now I'm considering getting her the matching cd player and/or maybe the sub. Somehow, I don't think she'll like the matching sub though.

By the way, I don't think having a stereo model (2) is all that important in a table radio. My mom has them arranged as to increase her listening area in the kitchen/dining area rather than stereo imaging.

Oct 24, 2002 at 11:22 PM Post #8 of 10
One word..... TIVOLI

I got one a few months back after my dad swiped my boombox to take to work with him. It was the best thing he ever did. I'm enjoying the radio more than ever and am even considering investing in another one to use in our kitchen.

The Tivoli was designed by the late Henry Kloss and it includes a great deal of new technology. Its RF circuit includes some nifty electronics that has been lifted from mobile phone technology, so allowing the Tivoli to pull in stations and put them out at incredible quality without the need for an external antenna. With an external antenna that can be connected with an f-plug the number of stations that you will received will be phenomenal.

The Tivoli radios are finished in a real wood casing that look stylish alsmost anywhere. Mine has green fascia that looks swell.

It very simple to use with an on/off switch that doubles gos from OFF to FM to AM. The tuning is by a stiff geared vernier tuning dial that has absolutley no backlash at all so that when you tune a station in it stays tuned. When tuning on FM, there is a 'magic eye' indicator that glows brighter when tuned onto a station.

The Tivoli only has a small front mounted speaker but it's sound quality is very good for its size. The unit is also ported on the bottom so it increases the bass a touch.

The Tivoli also has an array of 3.5mm jacks on the rear to allow you to use it as an amp with a portable CDP. A jack is also provided for an connection of an external speaker.

I do believe that Tivoli also have some plans underway to introduce a matching CD player sometime in the near future?

BTW, the Tivoli Model One is a mono only unit but the Model Two is stereo.

Mine was £100 from the local emporium here in the UK. I'm sure the other fellas can tell you the prices for other countries.

Sound As Ever.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2002 at 1:28 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
I've been shouting about how great the Tivoli radios are for ages
wink.gif
However, our Model One and Model Two have FM reception that is unmatched, but the AM reception isn't great. OurTivoli PAL is MUCH better for AM.

Looks like the PAL is perfect for my mom.

BTW, does the PAL sonically sound worse or better than the Model One?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back