Need a good set of headphones
Aug 6, 2008 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Lazarus

New Head-Fier
Which Headphone would you recommend for my commute? I like to watch Movies, TV and listen to my Music on my hour and a half commute everyday but sometimes the train is so noisy its hard to hear. I bought a pair of the Shure In-Ear but decided I do not like in-ear design as it is uncomfortable for my ears after about 5 mins ( and the fact that my cat destroyed them means i need new headphones.) Right now I am looking at the something like the Bose Quitecomfort 3, but i know you guys will have much better suggestions.

Thanks,
Lazarus

Aug 6, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #2 of 6
I would suggest that you give a budget and the kind of music you listening as well as the name of the device from which you'll plug your headphone in order to help people to help you :wink:

Since I ve been looking for pretty much the same thing, I'll give you some references that peoples gave me, but I've not eard any of them yet :frowning2: (budget: max. $250):
AKG K271 (but maebe to big)
HD25 (HD25 25II, 25-1 II or C-II not SP)
Sony MDR-7506
HFI-780

and the AKG440 NC (noise cancelling headphone)

Aug 6, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #3 of 6
Or get some custom mold IEM's, which should solve the discomfort problem.
An Ultimate Ears maybe, depending on your budget..

Aug 7, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which Headphone would you recommend for my commute? I like to watch Movies, TV and listen to my Music on my hour and a half commute everyday but sometimes the train is so noisy its hard to hear. I bought a pair of the Shure In-Ear but decided I do not like in-ear design as it is uncomfortable for my ears after about 5 mins ( and the fact that my cat destroyed them means i need new headphones.) Right now I am looking at the something like the Bose Quitecomfort 3, but i know you guys will have much better suggestions.

Thanks,
Lazarus

Active noise cancelling headphones like Quiet Comfort are IMO over-priced and deliver only average SQ (have listened to a friend's pair). When I used to commute in the (very noisy!) train I have found IEMs to offer superior noise isolation to over-ear models. They lose a bit of bass but still offer clarity/ audibility at lower volumes. As sound does not leak they are also more considerate to fellow passengers.

If you find IEMs uncomfortable, try using different tips. I find the standard silicone tips comfortable but I know many say foams are far superior for isolation and comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back