Need a good pair of speakers
Apr 15, 2010 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Krackatus

Head-Fier
I have a nice headphone rig at the moment (HD650s + Audio-GD Compass) which im very pleased with. However my speakers are less than desireable (£60 logitech ones). I feel now its time that i got a nice speaker setup that can at least compare to my headphone rig.
Now i don't know much about speakers as i've always used phones. My questions are...

1) I'm using PC as source. I have a compass hooked up to it via USB. Would this be adequate as a DAC to go into an external amp for my speakers? Or even better, would the compass amp be enough to power some speakers?

2) Could you please recommend me some speakers and/or an amp to go with it? Budget for speakers would be roughly £300/$600. So im pretty sure i should be looking at bookshelf speakers. Budget for the amp would be about £300 also, but the less the better. The speakers would be used almost entirely for rock and metal as i will be using my headphones for more laid back music. Im not looking for an amazing audiophile setup as i know the speaker world is considerably more expensive than the headphone world. Im just looking for a nice pair of speakers that will blow away my ****ty logitechs without destroying my bank balance in the process.

Apr 15, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #2 of 9
You could go for active speakers (the simple route) or passive speakers + amp. I very much doubt the Compass has enough power to power speakers, you'd need something like the beta22 to do that (18W into 8ohms heh).

Frankly, speakers are such a big field I wouldn't know how to tell you to start. So much choices and variety, so many ways of getting of sound ...

Apr 16, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #4 of 9
B3031a are impressive monitors, but their $400 price tag makes them unbelievable value. I mostly mix/listening to electronica, so I'm not fully sure how they fare for rock/metal. Tried a few songs, sounds fine to me, although I'm not really sure how its supposed to sound :/.

Apr 16, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #5 of 9
I would suggest looking for some used Dynaudio BM5A's or Quad 12L-A active monitors. You should be able to find either for well below your budget and I think they represent excellent value for money.

I've heard both and own the Dynaudio's (along with 3 other passive systems) and both are quite versatile with their ability to play different genres well.

You can use your Compass as a pre-amp for a simpler system which is a nice bonus.

May 6, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #6 of 9
i'm really enjoying my energy rc-10s with pioneer a-35r integrated amp. 

May 9, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #7 of 9
Look for some Talon Audio bookshelf speakers, try the Khites or the Peregrines. 

May 13, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #8 of 9
i too need some speakers for rock and metal  that punch,  would the dynaudio and the talon punch harder than  some polk
RTiA3 or some klipsch rb 51.

what other bookshelf speakers can punch  like larger types

Users who are viewing this thread

Back