Need a decent headphone amp to shure srh1840
May 6, 2015 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

svraka1998

New Head-Fier
I have bought the shure srh1840 and i need a good amp to them, but I don't know witch amp I should buy. I have looked at marantz hd-dac1 but I don't know if it is the right one for my shure srh1840. Please write what you think I should buy.

May 6, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #3 of 16
  I have bought the shure srh1840 and i need a good amp to them, but I don't know witch amp I should buy. I have looked at marantz hd-dac1 but I don't know if it is the right one for my shure srh1840. Please write what you think I should buy.

Do you just want an amp or a dac and an amp?  The Marantz is a combo.
I also have the 1840s, per the previous post, more detail is needed.

May 6, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #6 of 16
I need a combo with both amp and DAC. Can you recommend something like that?

Audio-GD NFB-15, external DAC/amp, $270 + shipping ($45).
Dual WM8741 DAC chips
Comes with USB, optical, coaxial inputs.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

May 6, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #7 of 16
I need a combo with both amp and dac. Can you recommend something like that?

The Marantz you mentioned might be a good option - I don't know much about it though.  In the $1000 range, the Oppo HA-1 is an excellent combo.  I have one and use my 1840s in balanced mode with it.  I have used it single-ended with very good results.  There is a thread on it in the fullsize headphone amp section.  Many folks are partial to the Schiit dac and amp combo.  I have a couple of their amps and they are good with the 1840s too.
With that budget, you have several excellent options.  Checkout the Oppo HA-1 along with some of the others mentioned in the desktop amp section.  See what appeals to you.  I'll help with any items relating to the 1840s with Oppo and Schiit Mjolnir and Valhalla 2 as I have all of those.   Good luck with your search.

May 6, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #8 of 16
The Marantz you mentioned might be a good option - I don't know much about it though.  In the $1000 range, the Oppo HA-1 is an excellent combo.  I have one and use my 1840s in balanced mode with it.  I have used it single-ended with very good results.  There is a thread on it in the fullsize headphone amp section.  Many folks are partial to the Schiit dac and amp combo.  I have a couple of their amps and they are good with the 1840s too.
With that budget, you have several excellent options.  Checkout the Oppo HA-1 along with some of the others mentioned in the desktop amp section.  See what appeals to you.  I'll help with any items relating to the 1840s with Oppo and Schiit Mjolnir and Valhalla 2 as I have all of those.   Good luck with your search.

Thank you so much for the help :) I going to look at oppo :)

Sep 18, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #9 of 16
Well, happy with that Oppo stuff? .... I paired my SRH1840 with a valved DAC 25.3 from Music Hall as I thought this would be a good option to add some color and warmness to the DAC SQ. I am quite delighted with the result.

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #10 of 16
Hi,

I have recently acquired a pair of Shure1840s. Coming from a pair of HD518 the Shure1840 is clearly superior in almost all aspects. I do however feel like they do lack a bit of bass (low-end). I am therefore looking for an amp to drive them. I am currently using a fiio e10 which i do not feel is doing the Shure SRH1840 justice. I have recently ordered a Nuforce Icon HDP, but after reading reviews I am nervous that they will only make the 1840s more bright which is not what I am looking for. (I am expecting the Nuforce to arrive within 10 days.)

I am therefore looking for a nice amp which will add some warmth to the sound without removing from the detailed highs or mids. I am especially intersted in more punchy bass (not out of control). Without being able to feel the bass there is little drama or life in the headphones.

I am thinking that I can use the amp with the dac in the Nuforce Icon, but I do not have a huge budget and I am therefore willing to resell the Nuforce Icon HDP (I got it for 190 usd), and buy something else. If I do resell I do however need to use the dac in the fiio e10 with a new amp or I will need to buy something which is a dac/amp combo.

Any advice or reccomendation is much appreciated.

Thanks!

/Mads

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #11 of 16
  I have recently acquired a pair of Shure1840s. Coming from a pair of HD518 the Shure1840 is clearly superior in almost all aspects. I do however feel like they do lack a bit of bass (low-end). I am therefore looking for an amp to drive them. I am currently using a FiiO E10 which i do not feel is doing the Shure SRH1840 justice. I have recently ordered a Nuforce Icon HDP, but after reading reviews I am nervous that they will only make the 1840s more bright which is not what I am looking for. (I am expecting the Nuforce to arrive within 10 days.)
I am therefore looking for a nice amp which will add some warmth to the sound without removing from the detailed highs or mids. I am especially interested in more punchy bass (not out of control). Without being able to feel the bass there is little drama or life in the headphones.
I am thinking that I can use the amp with the dac in the Nuforce Icon, but I do not have a huge budget and I am therefore willing to resell the Nuforce Icon HDP (I got it for 190 usd), and buy something else. If I do resell I do however need to use the dac in the FiiO e10 with a new amp or I will need to buy something which is a dac/amp combo.
Any advice or recommendation is much appreciated.

If a headphone is bass light, or not enough bass for your liking, not a whole lot you can do about it.
Any extreme measure you might do would more likely give the headphones a bloated (louder, less detail) bass.
Now the FiiO A3 (E11K) headphone amplifier comes with a bass boost switch, which should add a little more bass.
and you can plug the A3 into the E10K's line-output.
You can plug just about any amplifier you like into the E10K (or older E10).

Dec 9, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #12 of 16

If a headphone is bass light, or not enough bass for your liking, not a whole lot you can do about it.
Any extreme measure you might do would more likely give the headphones a bloated (louder, less detail) bass.
Now the FiiO A3 (E11K) headphone amplifier comes with a bass boost switch, which should add a little more bass.
and you can plug the A3 into the E10K's line-output.
You can plug just about any amplifier you like into the E10K (or older E10).

Thanks for your answer! If I were to use a headphone amp with the e10 which would you recommend ?

Dec 9, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #13 of 16

Thanks for your answer! If I were to use a headphone amp with the e10 which would you recommend ?

As the E10K is a solid state headphone amplifier, you might consider getting a hybrid headphone amplifier, which is both tube and solid state.
Because the SRH1840 is only 65-Ohms a regular tube amplifier might might not be the best choice.
With a hybrid, the solid state part is better for lower impedance headphone and the tube part might add some colorful tweaks to the sound.

Dec 9, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #14 of 16

As the E10K is a solid state headphone amplifier, you might consider getting a hybrid headphone amplifier, which is both tube and solid state.
Because the SRH1840 is only 65-Ohms a regular tube amplifier might might not be the best choice.
With a hybrid, the solid state part is better for lower impedance headphone and the tube part might add some colorful tweaks to the sound.

Sorry for the many question, but you have been very helpful! Can you by any chance give me some examples of good hybrid amps ?

Thanks!

Dec 9, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #15 of 16
  Sorry for the many question, but you have been very helpful! Can you by any chance give me some examples of good hybrid amps ?

Not sure what your willing to budget.
Maybe the Bravo Ocean hybrid tube headphone amplifier, normally $120-$130.

Parts Express has it on sale for $99 + $13 shipping.
http://www.parts-express.com/bravo-audio-ocean-mini-valve-class-a-tube-headphone-amplifier--310-352?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

There is the Schiit Vali, $119 + shipping
http://schiit.com/products/vali

Users who are viewing this thread

Back