Need a DAC with two analog outs
Mar 29, 2006 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

jas_kidd32

100+ Head-Fier
Is there a DAC that has two analog outs? This is my situation. I'm planning on hooking up my CDP and computer to a DAC, so i'll just use both the optical and coax input but say i buy a headphone amp. ATM i have a integrated stereo amp to power my speakers. If I connect the DAC to my stereo amp, I wont be able to connect the DAC to a dedicated headphone amp. So ultimately, I need to outputs from the DAC.

Mar 29, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #2 of 15
If your integrated amp has a tape loop (Tape out), you can connect the headphone amp to it, and pretend you are dubbing the DAC to tape.

Another option would be to use an input selector switch, which range in price from cheap Radio shack models to relatively expensive Niles Audio switches.

Mar 29, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #3 of 15
Thanks, I'll check if my amp has a tape out after work. I was thinking a bypass output as well, there's a preamp out but that would mean two volume controls.

Mar 29, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #4 of 15
The Lavry DA10 has both its front standard headphone plug and the XLR outs on the back that can be configured for balanced XLR or non-balance RCA connection to a second headphone. The volume toggle controls the volume on both. I have not done this but as I understand it, it can be done.

This is one very fine DAC.

Mar 29, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser
This is one very fine DAC.

And very expensive
biggrin.gif
. I've looked at the Lavry as an upgrade in the far future. ATM I'll probably get a modded zhalou v1.3, or wait for the v2.

Mar 29, 2006 at 5:39 AM Post #6 of 15
How about a preamp with two digital inputs, three analog inputs, five analog outputs, built-in 192/24 DAC, one passive preamp and one active preamp signal paths, and two independent headphone amps powerful enough to drive two K1000s? And every section of it produces true audiophile sound quality. And it was on sale at Musician's Friend for $400.

See more impressions here:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=155336

Mar 29, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
How about a preamp with two digital inputs, three analog inputs, five analog outputs, built-in 192/24 DAC, one passive preamp and one active preamp signal paths, and two independent headphone amps powerful enough to drive two K1000s? And every section of it produces true audiophile sound quality. And it was on sale at Musician's Friend for $400.

See more impressions here:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=155336

I've been eyeing the Presonus Central Station for a while now. Its an interesting piece of equipment and would restructure my audio setup considerably. Such that I would have to sell my integrated amp and use this as a preamp, dac and headphone amp then buy a power amp to use for my speakers. It would've been perfect but the TRS input and output are not standard as compare to RCA. I know i can buy adaptors for them but it's tidieous.

Ferbose, what's the difference between the passive and active preamp on the Presonus?

Mar 29, 2006 at 6:27 AM Post #8 of 15
Central Station's passive preamp section uses mechanical relays and resistor networks. The relays are controlled by programmable chips. Each relay is $2 in parts cost, and it uses 34 of them. This is one of the finest passive preamp implementations I have seen, regardless of price.
The active preamp signal path uses OP-amps, but the alteration is pretty minimal.
I personally use Mogami XLR-TRS cable and Pro-Co RCA-TS cable. It is a good thing that here in US we can buy high quality pro-audio cables online at reasonable prices. I don't know about Australia though.

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:30 AM Post #11 of 15
I'll second the PreSonus Central Station. The above-referenced review is right on the mark and a big reason why I bought it. No regrets, I'm using it right now and I use it every night. I would buy another one without hesitation.

Mar 30, 2006 at 8:16 AM Post #12 of 15
If the Lavry DA10 is too expensive, the Presonus certainly isn't cheap at around $500. If what you are really looking for is a passive preamp, have a look at the Channel Islands Audio VPC-2 (www.ciaudio.com), but it doesn't have a bypass either. Normally Tape Out should bypass the preamp's volume control, but you would have to check with your amp's schematics.

Mar 30, 2006 at 2:21 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid
If the Lavry DA10 is too expensive, the Presonus certainly isn't cheap at around $500. If what you are really looking for is a passive preamp, have a look at the Channel Islands Audio VPC-2 (www.ciaudio.com), but it doesn't have a bypass either. Normally Tape Out should bypass the preamp's volume control, but you would have to check with your amp's schematics.

VPC-2 has two pair of outputs, one which CAN be configured (by internal jumpers) as a tape out (bypassing the volume control).
vpc2r.jpg

If you're looking for a DAC with two pair of outputs, VDA-2 has this...they are discrete outputs (not paralleled jacks).
vda2_r.jpg

-Dusty-

Mar 30, 2006 at 6:51 PM Post #15 of 15
Behringer deq 2496 has two sets of outputs, and throws in digital eq and a bunch of other stuff as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back