Sound Eq

Headphoneus Supremus
Greetings

I got the following system

B&W 604 s2 ---- 2 floor speakers
nad t763---- amplifier
B&W ASW610 subwoofer

These will be connected to my desktop which optical out and HDMI

I was wondering if you can recommend a great dac that is affordable within 500 USD range or max 800 USD

I in general love warm full sound signatures 

Can you recommend me some options

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #2 of 35
Creative Labs Ti-HD (Titanium-HD) sound card or Asus Xonar D2X sound card
Would give you a nice DAC function for around $100.

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #3 of 35
so would such sound cards be better than dedicated dacs fed into the Nad amp

my desktop has an amd radeon hd 5800 series video card

Feb 28, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #4 of 35
  So would such sound cards be better than dedicated DACs fed into the Nad amp
My desktop has an AMD Radeon HD 5800 series video card

Not saying the Ti-HD/D2X are better options then an external ($500) DAC.
But as the cards will sometimes sell for under $100 (used), they are a great value, for their price.

If your really more for an external DAC.
Schiit Modi 2 Uber, $150.

Guess I'm not the type to spend $500-$800 for a DAC.

I spent $300 for my Audio-GD NFB-15 DAC, but it also comes with a nice headphone amplifier.

Feb 28, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #5 of 35
and what is the sound signature of Schiit Modi 2 as the sound signature is so important to me

Feb 28, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #6 of 35
  and what is the sound signature of Schiit Modi 2 as the sound signature is so important to me

The same as the DAC in my Alienware M11x R2 laptop. (Seriously, I couldn't tell it apart from the Modi 2.)

The Chord Mojo would be my recommendation in the range you're looking at, as it sounds a lot more natural.

Feb 28, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #7 of 35

I have the Schiit Fulla (first version) which i believe uses the same DAC chip as the Modi.
Guess you could say it's a fairly musical sound.

If your more into detail, then check out Hifimediy DACs, which use a Sabre DAC chip.

Feb 28, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #8 of 35
  I have the Schiit Fulla (first version) which i believe uses the same DAC chip as the Modi.

Me too! I had it in 2015 and bought it again this year. Sounds kinda bad sometimes compared to the Mojo, but I prefer the Fulla with one headphone due to its less refined / more exciting sound.

The Fulla has an AKM AK4396 with Analog Devices ADA4610-based filter stage while the Modi 2 and Modi 2 Uber have an AKM AK4490 with analog summing and active filtering based on the AD8616 with precision thin-film resistors and film capacitors. But yes, the Fulla and original Modi both have an AKM4396.

Feb 28, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #9 of 35

Me too! I had it in 2015 and bought it again this year. Sounds kinda bad sometimes compared to the Mojo, but I prefer the Fulla with one headphone due to its less refined / more exciting sound.

The Fulla has an AKM AK4396 with Analog Devices ADA4610-based filter stage while the Modi 2 and Modi 2 Uber have an AKM AK4490 with analog summing and active filtering based on the AD8616 with precision thin-film resistors and film capacitors. But yes, the Fulla and original Modi both have an AKM4396.

strange as I have the mojo and you know I never thought about using it as dac in my home system

I will give it a try

Feb 28, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #10 of 35
  strange as I have the mojo and you know I never thought about using it as dac in my home system

I will give it a try

Ha! Nice.
biggrin.gif
(I should've checked your profile in advance.)

It does have some disadvantages, such as having to charge it so often or just leave the charge cable connected. But you may very well try other DACs around or above its price range and find they don't outperform the Mojo.

Feb 28, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #11 of 35

Ha! Nice.
biggrin.gif

It does have some disadvantages, such as having to charge it so often or just leave the charge cable connected. But you may very well try other DACs around or above its price range and find they don't outperform the Mojo.

so if i leave the charge cable in can I realibly use the mojo as my major dac for my home system

Feb 28, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #13 of 35
Feb 28, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #14 of 35
  what u mean by this

Hold both volume buttons simultaneously while turning it on. This sets it to the default 3 volt line level mode. But it's variable, so you can adjust the output to any level you want after that. And you'll have to use the right cables/adapters: 1/8" (from the Mojo's headphone output) to whatever termination you need.

Feb 28, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #15 of 35

Hold both volume buttons simultaneously while turning it on. This sets it to the default 3 volt line level mode. But it's variable, so you can adjust the output to any level you want after that. And you'll have to use the right cables/adapters: 1/8" (from the Mojo's headphone output) to whatever termination you need.

now that is the question I need to know as well as I am a total noob on how to connect the mojo from my computer to the nad amp I mentioned

if anyone can have a look at the amp and suggest what is the best way to connect both together I really appreciate it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back