Need a cheap amp, suggestions?
Sep 8, 2008 at 2:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bkchurch

Head-Fier
Recently replaced my 5.1 set-up and with it the receiver. Unfortunately the new receiver doesn't have a headphone output. So what I've been doing when using my headphones is running the audio through the TV via HDMI in and composite out then attaching my headphones to the 3.5 mm jack on the other end of the composite cables. Unfortunately the composite output on the back of my TV can't really power my cans all that well so the volume is painfully low. To remedy this I figure I'll throw a headphone amp between the TV and the headphones. So can anybody recommend a cheap headphone amp (I'm thinking $50, although less would be better) that can give me enough juice to power my cans without degrading the audio quality?

Sep 9, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #2 of 9
Sep 9, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #3 of 9
I bought a PA2V2 for a similar application. It probably lacks the balls of the Caffeine Ultra but the PA2V2s are a bit cheaper and can often be found used. I recently bought a nice used one for $40AUD...peanuts.

Sep 10, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #4 of 9
I think I'm gonna go with the Caffiene amp. Question though: The guy that reviewed it mentioned he got his from John Seaber (eBay seller three3three3) but he doesn't have any listings up currently. Is this the same thing or a wolf in sheep's clothing?

Micro Cmoy headphone amp - Opamp2227 - Amplifier - eBay (item 260284691207 end time Sep-12-08 15:26:43 PDT)

Micro Cmoy headphone amp - Opamp 2227 - Amplifier - eBay (item 260284502644 end time Sep-12-08 08:30:35 PDT)

He also mentioned Mr. Seaber was kind enough to tune his amp specifically for his Grado's. Do you think he'd be willing to do the same for my Ultrasone Pro 750s? If so would that in and of itself be worth waiting for Mr. Seaber to get more amps put together and up on eBay?

Sep 10, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #5 of 9
The penguin amp I think is a modified cmoy design, but it is not the same as the listed amplifier.

Penguin amps can be found here.

I think the mini3 or pa2v2 does better justice to their price.

Sep 10, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #6 of 9
Ok, well do you think those ones on eBay are any good? I've been doing some research and I think I'm pretty dead set on a CMoy now but those Penguin amps are a little more than I want to pay at $77.50 shipped.

Sep 10, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #7 of 9
I'll throw in my support for the PA2V2...again. Cheaper to run than the Caffeine too. Gary sell 'em new with charger for around your budget and he's the easiest guy in the world to deal with. You'll be happy with the sound too; I am and I'm using mine in a non-traditional manner as well

Sep 11, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #8 of 9
Ok, I've checked more into the PA2V2. It sounds like a great little amp. Is there another place to get them other than through eBay though? Gary doesn't appear to have any Buy It Now auctions up and I don't really want to get in a bidding war over it.

Sep 11, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #9 of 9
Yaaa, yaaa....write him directly and he'll do you a BIN price; tell him your ap as well and if there's a way to help you out he will. Seriously, this bloke is all about the service. He'll ship anywhere and does scrupulous follow-up.

Here you go:

More Information About The Portable Headphone Amplifier

If possible let me know how the deal goes (or not). I'm an X-pat Canuck living DownUnder and I'm always happy to see a good Canadian lad ddoingwell.

Cheers,
Don

Users who are viewing this thread

Back