Need $100-$300 Full size cans for iBasso D3 + Cowon D2 and Laptop
Nov 8, 2008 at 7:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

radlux

Head-Fier
Hi,

I listen to music at work on my laptop and using my Cowon D2 as a portable. I use an iBasso D3 as the headphone amp. Currently have SE530 iems only. Want to get myself a pair of full size headphones that best synergise with these two setups specifically.

I looked at the AkG K701s. Price range is flexible $100-$300. Would prefer <$200 unless there's something out there that would really go with my setup.
I am okay to pick up used/refurbished so the $100-$300 price range can be for 2nd hand ones too.

I would like really deep tight bass, but not drowning/overpowering the mids and his. Woudn't hurt if they were high on comfort for extended use.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Nov 8, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #3 of 12
I listen to rock, acoustic, jazz, classical, pop, techno. I dont listen to too much rap, hiphop or country.

I'm looking not neccessarily THE best cans in general but for my specific setup as I don't intend spending any more right now on altering my setup.

Nov 8, 2008 at 8:20 AM Post #4 of 12
AKG K701 needs considerably better amping (home amps) to sound good, in my experience. I would recommend AD700 or AD900 (both sound almost same, except that AD900 is little more refined in their presentation) They benefit from amping, but works well with minimal amping as well. They might be little bass-shy, but they would have more bass than K701s do. Both AD900 and AD700 are great cans for all music except hiphop.

cheers,

Nov 8, 2008 at 8:51 AM Post #5 of 12
Thanks. Will check out the AD700 and AD900.

Hmm.. just thought of something. Aren't both the AKGs and the AD700s open cans ? How bad is the leakage ? I mean, my office is pretty quiet and I was wondering if that might be a problem. Any other closed cans you think might be better ? I'm guessing the bass on closed ones would be better as well ?

Nov 8, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #6 of 12
What do you guys think about the DT 880s ?

Nov 8, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by radlux /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hmm.. just thought of something. Aren't both the AKGs and the AD700s open cans ? How bad is the leakage ?

pretty bad. if you're working nearby another person 5meters around you, they would be able to notice it in quiet environment. Virtually no isolation is present, as you'll be able to pick up conversations quite well.

Quote:

I mean, my office is pretty quiet and I was wondering if that might be a problem. Any other closed cans you think might be better ?

Hmm, I'm tempted to say Denon D2000s, but they rather have loose bass, which is not my cup of tea. I have not heard markl-modded D2000s, but apparently that mod tightens up bass response quite well, according to others' impressions. I have only tried stock D2000s so far.

Quote:

I'm guessing the bass on closed ones would be better as well ?

that seems to be the general trend, but not always. Cans such as K271S are closed, but they have rather small and tight bass response.

Nov 8, 2008 at 9:04 AM Post #8 of 12
I've run my DT770's from the D3 for hours on end, super comfy cans, no leakage, decent isolation, pretty decent sound, i'd say ideal for office use.

Nov 8, 2008 at 9:51 AM Post #9 of 12
yeah the DT 770s or 880s look like good choices.

However I'm liking the D2000 the more I read about it. how much does it cost to get Mark to do the mods ? Also will my portable amp suffice ?

Nov 8, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Hmm.. just thought of something. Aren't both the AKGs and the AD700s open cans ? How bad is the leakage ? I mean, my office is pretty quiet and I was wondering if that might be a problem. Any other closed cans you think might be better ? I'm guessing the bass on closed ones would be better as well ?

Just to add in, the K701 leaks pretty bad as well
So if isolation is important that shouldn't be on your list

Nov 9, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #12 of 12
Thanks everyone for the inputs.

So if th e K701s and DT880s both have leakage problems are the DT2000s and AD700s my only choices ?

Which one do you guys recommend between the two ? I'm leaning towards the DT2000s right now. Will my D3 be able to drive them well enough ?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back